Leave engine running and lock doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Crampton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to leave the engine running and lock the doors? For example, I drive less than a mile to stop for a cup of coffee and engine is not up to temp. I would like to leave it running and lock the doors when I grab a cup.

I've tried to lock it with the button on the door but it will not allow it to lock with key in ignition.

Thanks

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I believe that you can leave it running get out and close the door, then hit the last to buttons on your key pad to lock it.
Just don't forget your code to unlock it like someone I know. lol

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Is there a way to leave the engine running and lock the doors? For example, I drive less than a mile to stop for a cup of coffee and engine is not up to temp. I would like to leave it running and lock the doors when I grab a cup.

I've tried to lock it with the button on the door but it will not allow it to lock with key in ignition.

Thanks

Keep a spare key on you, you can use the lock cylinder in the door which mechanical locks it and you can keep it running. I assume you don't have the remote start, otherwise you wouldn't have created this thread.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks

That's wow, cuz I can lock mine by pressing 7/8 & 9/0 at sametime on the keypad. I don't even have to bite my tongue while doing it either.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, press the last two buttons on the door keypad at the same time. Just be careful, someone on Facebook had their truck stolen this way recently. Smashed the window and took off.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's wow, cuz I can lock mine by pressing 7/8 & 9/0 at sametime on the keypad. I don't even have to bite my tongue while doing it either.

I can lock my '10 with the key in the ignition running using the keypad. Used to do it all the time during the starbucks 500.

OP
OP
Chris Crampton

Chris Crampton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep a spare key on you, you can use the lock cylinder in the door which mechanical locks it and you can keep it running. I assume you don't have the remote start, otherwise you wouldn't have created this thread.

I do have the remote start but choose not to turn off and restart engine.
Thanks to those who replied, I'll try out the last two button trick.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I do have the remote start but choose not to turn off and restart engine.
Thanks to those who replied, I'll try out the last two button trick.

I have a aftermarket remote start and if I hit the remote start button before I turn the key off it will continue running after I take out my key.
Not sure if this is the same for the OEM set ups.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes you can use the keypad to lock and unlock it when its running. Now downside is someone can break in and steal the truck. Someone on Facebook posted just the other day that this happened as they ran into a store. They busted the window and took off in it.

I try and use the remote start instead of leaving the key in for this reason. But places like in front of the hotel entrance and such where there are people around I still sometimes leave it running and do the door lock.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks
The button trick will not work.

The only way I have found to lock the doors while the key is in the ignition I'd to do the following.
1) start the truck with key in the ignition
2) put down your drivers side window
3) exit the truck and close the door
4) reach inside the truck through the open window and lock the truck
5) hit the auto window up on the driver side and remove hand quickly without hitting the window add it moves upward
6) your truck is now running with Windows up and locked.
7) to unlock you need the other key OR use the number code to unlock the truck

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Last edited: