Leather upgrade or seat covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone done or considered a leather upgrade on the standard seats?
I had someone install Katzkin on a car of mine 30yrs ago and then installed them myself on my Wrangler and was happy with the outcome. I dont plan on doing anything radical. Just using the stock design but with the Katzkin leather. The OEM "leather" feels cheap and I would probably do away with the corduroy type material on the seat wings.
All I've been able to find on a 3rd gen is a guy on the forum who had a full custom done at his shop which was way too loud for my taste.
I was able to build my options on this site and it came out to ~$1300 without tax and shipping. Seems kinda pricey since I picked up my Wrangler Katzkin for about $600.
Raptor Katzkin seat build
Example in Bronco

C423B241-C141-47F5-82FC-7C1C6B8BCFE4_1_105_c.jpg
I've also thought about going with a tactical seat cover that goes right over the existing seats. These would preserve the OEM seats and be more resistant against damage from kids or items transported in the truck. Right now I see Bartact makes these for Broncos and they go for about $840 for front and rear seats.
ronco-2021-2022-4-door-only-29018881032235_300x300.jpg

Anyone have either of the above options?

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had someone install Katzkin on a car of mine 30yrs ago and then installed them myself on my Wrangler and was happy with the outcome. I dont plan on doing anything radical. Just using the stock design but with the Katzkin leather. The OEM "leather" feels cheap and I would probably do away with the corduroy type material on the seat wings.
All I've been able to find on a 3rd gen is a guy on the forum who had a full custom done at his shop which was way too loud for my taste.
I was able to build my option on this site and it came out to ~$1300 without tax and shipping. Seems kinda pricing since I picked up my Wrangler Katzkin for about $600.
Example in Bronco

View attachment 376351
I've also thought about going with a tactical seat cover that goes right over the existing seats. These would preserve the OEM seats and be more resistant against damage from kids or items transported in the truck. Right now I see Bartact makes these for Broncos and they go for about $840 for front and rear seats.
View attachment 376352

Well if you don't like the quality of the OEM seat, the seat covers will be worse. That pricing for the upholstery sounds right, upholstery is expensive and I am surprised it wasn't more.

OP
OP
BaseModelRaptor

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well if you don't like the quality of the OEM seat, the seat covers will be worse. That pricing for the upholstery sounds right, upholstery is expensive and I am surprised it wasn't more.
Two different options. If im going to have leather seats I dont want them to look and feel cheap.
I brought up seat covers but for nearly the same price as leather I dont know if I could justify that to myself.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two different options. If im going to have leather seats I dont want them to look and feel cheap.
I brought up seat covers but for nearly the same price as leather I dont know if I could justify that to myself.
What seat covers are you looking at? Seat covers should be cheaper than upholstery any day.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was able to build my options on this site and it came out to ~$1300 without tax and shipping. Seems kinda pricing since I picked up my Wrangler Katzkin for about $600.
Example in Bronco

View attachment 376351
View attachment 376352

You’re referencing member @Olsen Motorsports who did the full custom interior on his Gen 3 which I though was very cool. Since he has been the only person to attempt such an act, I’d suggest shooting him a message and bounce your ideas. Who knows…might be able to generate a viable solution.