Leaky 3rd brake light fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfinn

Reaction score
I searched, read about 20 different threads on this and am still not quite sure what the correct fix is.

Seems like some options are:

new 3rd brake light from Ford although it sounds like the replacements still leak?
pump a bunch of silicone around the brake light and re-install
remove old gasket and create a new one with some home depot weather stripping

Is there a consensus on the best way to tackle this? I checked out some of the aftermarket options and have no interest in any of those, the stock looks fine, I just don't want it to leak anymore. There is some water damage to my headliner so I am fairly confident it was leaking at one point. This is a new-to-me truck and we don't get much rain here but I want to make sure no more damage is done.

RaptizedBK

Reaction score
Hey, had this problem recently. Saw another post somewhere that a guy used butyl tape and just added a bead all the way around where the factory gasket seals to. I did it a few weeks ago and have been leak free since! Super easy and took about 10 min.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gasket on my original had failed after 4 or 5 years. The light filled with water and the resulting corrosion shorted out the LED's. I was able to get it replaced under my warranty but paid a deductible. The dealer installed it but when I got home did my own work on it. I made sure to clean and wax the paint underneath really good. I used a bead of electrical grease (silicone) on the top half of the gasket. It doesn't dry like construction silicone. Hasn't leaked since then.

01Moch1

Reaction score
I had an old 2007 F-150 screw that I bought slightly used and it started leaking after a year or so. I went to home Depot weather stripping route and never had another problem. It was still dry 6-7 years later when I sold the truck and we get a lot of rain here in the PNW.
Good luck!

Michael91

Reaction score
What width weather stripping did you use if you remember as im having same problem in UK so cant find a new brake light

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there are any brands of blinker fluid that are compatible with the 3rd brake light, but if you can find one, topping it off with blinker fluid would keep water from getting into the light and ruining it.