Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCM

Reaction score
25BEF1D0-EE4E-4E72-96FF-B0FC6B72B55C.jpeg I have a 2013 gen 1. I’ve noticed this over the last couple weeks. The fill plug for my rear diff looks like it’s leaking but I can’t tell. It is not wet to the touch but mostly sticky and black in color. The size of the oil spot hasn’t gotten any larger. By the way the oil spots on the ground aren’t from my truck. I’m probably just going to replace the fill plug but wanted someone’s opinion. Thanks in advance I’ll link a picture

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm! I see the same damp looking spots on other areas of this rear which some are above the plug, to rear of plug, and up front by the yoke. What’s wrong with this picture? This is not a picture of a leak IMO.

OP
OP
KCM

KCM

Reaction score
Ya that’s what I was thinking. Pretty weird. I just cleaned all the damp spots off the rear so I’ll see if it comes back.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also there is a vent tube coming from the rear-end, it's right above where the wet spot is on top of your rear-end.
When the fluid is old and low it will over heat and more fluid bubbles out.
May want to check and or change you gear oil to full synthetic.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just found this thread. I have a leak that looks like it is coming from the electrical connector. Anyone experience this? I have not taken it loose yet, is there an o-ring or seal between it and the housing?

6EC01DAC-7F3F-43B3-AA7B-BA488F419FFB.jpeg 6711245C-B8C3-4F00-A744-EF55DE3A1273.jpeg

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone experience a leak from the electrical connection. I can’t tell exactly where it is coming from. I suppose it could be coming from the cover but with it being up around the connector I imagine the wind would blow it backwards.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
KCM

KCM

Reaction score
Anyone experience a leak from the electrical connection. I can’t tell exactly where it is coming from. I suppose it could be coming from the cover but with it being up around the connector I imagine the wind would blow it backwards.

Thoughts?
From what was said earlier I’m pretty sure there’s a vent tube for the diff right where you’re leak is. Usually means you needa change out the rear diff fluid because it will bubble out the vent tube if it’s too low on fluid and hot. This is just from reading so take some professional advice too

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do plan to change the fluid out, waiting on my new diff cover to arrive first. The vent tube is coming from the axle shaft in the middle of the break bracket in the picture below. It heads up to the support channel for the bed. I felt the channel and it was pretty dry. I suppose that it could have ran over the channel and dripped but I would imagine that I would see evidence of this and I do not.

8A401308-197D-43A9-A91C-9DC0198CE6A2.jpeg

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of an exploded view of the differential with the electronic locking connection?

Or would anyone have a part number to the gasket or o-ring that seals it to the housing?

I am hesitant to remove the connection without seeing how it is attached on the inside of the housing.

I can’t be sure what is leaking, the cover or the electrical connection.