Leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, back to the topic of the discussion...how are you liking the leafs so far?

What are you first impressions? Is it a major/very noticeable difference from the stocks?
Would you say that with the Gieser Bros progressive coils you have in front, that the truck is in better harmony? Much of an improvement in overall comfort?

(PAGE 2)
Exhaust relocated out of the way of full droop. Two days of hot lap fire roads and trails. I love this set up up front and out back. Surprising to be as balanced as it is. Really how this truck should be set up from the factory. I know others have said the same thing. I'm hoping the leafs will settle soon. It's close to looking like the OE rake except a couple inches up at both ends. Which isn't bad when I've got over a hundred pounds in the bed.
If you want to save a couple hundred bucks and get a product equally as good as any other if not better, these leafs are a great value. Of course longevity is a big factor for many including myself. I'll revisit this thread down the line to report on that.

^^
Back on topic?, you must be the new guy on FRF. LOL.

:chair:

Last edited:

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, hoping to follow your lead with this. Front coils are already on order and saving up to get the rear leafs soon. Would you say that the back suspension is softer or firmer now? What would you say the main difference you feel with the back now as opposed to before?

Didn't mean to offend anyone saying back to the topic. I was probably the main culprit going off about exhaust. Just wanted to redirect it back to the leafs.

Thanks for the guidance

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. RD has been here six month's longer than you. (not enough to bash you) despite going of rez (topic) As the iconic one Chick Hearn used to say,"No harm no foul".
As far as firmer or softer than the OE packs, I wouldn't use either to describe the difference. How about night and day. The stability is off the charts better. You'll lose the pogo effect. It will absorb everything exponentially better. Another benefit in my opinion is these springs probably weigh 30-40 pounds per less than the competitors. Saving money and weight makes the choice even easier. The predictability when in loose uneven surfaces isn't giving you the same "pucker factor". And like I said, with the GB's up front on bottom perch it balances the truck very very well. I never would take down my sway bar. It makes no sense to me unless you plan on stripping the truck down and making it a trophy truck. JMO.

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
**An update**

I reported earlier all you needed to do if you were going with the sdhq bump plate and the atlas springs was to remove the top kick plate on the leaf's and use the bump plate.
WRONG answer. I noticed this morning my passenger side pack shifted and is loosening my leaf pack nuts.
After some thinking I'm going to put the Atlas top plate back on the leaf pack, drill out the top of the bump plate so it fits over the atlas nut and simply use the bump plate U bolt around the axle housing to secure the bump plate.
There is to much play/slop in the SDHQ bump plate over the Atlas leaf pack studs.
I will have to cut the "kick ends" on the bump plates so they'll let inside the atlas top kick plate as well.
I currently don't have a lot of time to deal with this. Stay tuned. Or don't. Carry on.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@1stSFG Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate you letting everyone know. I got my Geiser Bros progressive front coils on yesterday. Very happy, but like you warned me, I want the back done now. I can get a good deal on Deavers and am planning on doing the SDHQ bump stop plate deals too. I'm curious if the same thing that happened to you will be an issue with the Deavers too. I'm getting mine from a reputable shop, so I'll definitely be sure to mention this to them. Thanks again

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, Took to the task of resolving the SDHQ bump plate & Atlas leaf pack compatibility issue. It was easier than I anticipated. I didn't need to drill out the bump plate holes to allow them to sit over top the OE atlas Ubolt kick plate. I did however have to use a cutting wheel on bump plate so it would sit flat between the Ubolt kick plates ridges. If you look close at a blown up picture you'll see the notches near the L bend down to the axle housing. On the drivers side it came close to cutting into the "punch holes". But even if it did there would be no issue as they're only secured down by the one Ubolt on the axle housing.
Something else that I learned on the first side to save you some time and frustration. Bang down the Ubolts and center pins BEFORE you try to get the bump plate to sit flush on the axle housing. I spent some anguishing moments trying to figure out why it wouldn't sit flat near the spring pack. After tightening them down bingo all good. While the wheel cuts don't look like a thing of beauty, it fits properly, functions as it's designed to. Again the SDHQ bump Plates are designed to use with Deaver leaf packs. You'll need to do this fab to make them work together. Frame supports in and ready to do grab some seat time. On the way home I took a detour into one of the many empty quarry trail systems. Very rocky and narrow twist backs. Maybe eight miles of round trip hot lap run. Very happy. So with the longevity aspect of the test and some minor aerials to do, I couldn't be happier. Yes there is some feedback into the steering wheel on high speed bumpy cornering but this isn't a worx truck. It's a big improvement over the OE springs. When the leaf packs went on they improved that minor issue a great deal.
Great performance, balance and value. Considering many alternatives you could choose to get the exact same result this really is a no brainer.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 128
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 126

07Alloy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1stSFG.

Which spring did you get? 2+? Did you get rid of factory block? I am looking to do the same thing with stock shocks on mid perch. Sent you a pm also.