Lead frame/Trans shift recalls on whipple charged setups question:Gen1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello peeps!
Been a minute since I've been on here, hectic times.
Question: has anyone done the trans shift software update recall and now the lead frame recall on a modified Gen1? In my case Whipple charged setup with aftermarket SCT tuner?
When I tried taking the truck to the dealer back when the shift issue popped up they didn't know what to do and I couldn't get any straight answers on wether or not it was necessary on a modified and tuned truck, so I didn't and 2 years later I still have t had any shifting issues but now there's a lead frame recall and I was wondering if anyone with a modified Gen1 truck has done anything with these recalls. 7B00CA82-700C-4334-B13F-FCDD95332B67.png7B00CA82-700C-4334-B13F-FCDD95332B67.png

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been told that the drop to first gear when going 70 mph is one of the most terrifying things to experience if you're not expecting it.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve heard varying claims regarding whether the shift issue is present for tuned trucks. The only way to 100% address the issue in your case would be to have Whipple, JDM, or whoever tuned your vehicle to rewrite the tune based on the updated ECU strategy the Ford is applying. I can confirm that the ECU strategy and SWPN definitely changed when I had the recall or TSB update applied.

I have not replaced my molded lead frame and in my case the warranty on the lead frame is simply extended.

Your issue is that your truck won’t even run with the stock tune and that’s what Ford would apply to your vehicle, so your truck would be stranded until you could flash an updated version of your aftermarket tune.

Probably best to talk to your tuner and see what they recommend.

OP
OP
Skubik

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vash, good insight. See that's what I'm wondering but can't get a straight answer even from my tuner actually.
Say I take the Truck to ford and revert to stock tune temporarily while they do their update. Although you shouldn't drive the truck in boost on the road I think it would be ok to start it on stock tune and even move it around in the shop or from shop to parking lot etc..
After their software update I wonder if I can just reload my custom tune and drive it home OR will my custom tune be obsolete after their update and need to be re tuned again? Or if uploading my custom tune back up will just undo what they did and put me back at square one.
I even had someone tell me at Ford that since I have re tuned my computer already with a custom tune the recall doesn't really apply to me since the software information has already been altered, while I'd like to believe the guy he wasn't a tech but even ford techs I don't think would really know much about something like this. I could be wrong.
I always wonder if anyone with a modified truck and custom tune has ever had this transmission down shift thing actually happen to them or if the cases have been in stock or factory tuned trucks only.
I haven't had any issues at all with my truck even when I'm romping on it. I'll keep it in mind though, and hopefully one day I'll know for sure either way and hopefully not by going through the downshifting nightmare.
On a different note, what does the lead frame recall envolve? Part replacement only or also ECU softaware update? Maybe I can do that one at least.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I refuse to take my 2013 in for the recall as I’ve come across peeps who had tranny issues after the recall being done.

OP
OP
Skubik

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah! You see that's what I'm afraid of. I'm fine now and then after they mess with it my transmission falls out or takes a crap on me ‍♂️
I've been sticking with the if it ain't broke don't fix it mindset but I'm still searching just in case

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
to answer a couple questions.
Yes you can start /run a SC truck on a stock tune, but drivability wont be good and there is nothing in place to compesate for the boost. (i.e fuel or timing changes)
If ford flashes the update and then you reflash your tune, you negate what they just updated. Talk to your tuner though. I know JDM changes a lot of transmission strategy on their tunes but not sure if the downshift delet function is in it you would need to call them. I think theirs is the best strategy, but thats just my opinion.

The leadframe will need to be replaced at some point. They all will fail, its just a matter of when.
My 14 Roush truck shitthebed at 40k miles, my 2011 just started acting up at 200,000!!
The issue is the output speed sensor and metal contamination on the solenoids connection points. The contamination can be mitigated slightly with frequent fluid changes, but realisically it will/can still happen. You may not ever see the issue (highly unlikely making 600hp) but with boost you are putting more strain on parts so likely will have contaminents in the fluid.
Find a good transmission shop. My guy is very good and performace based, knows the 6R80 inside out. I trust him more than the Ford dealer to work on the trans.

In your specific situation, I dont know if I would do anything until you discuss with the tuner.

OP
OP
Skubik

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to answer a couple questions.
Yes you can start /run a SC truck on a stock tune, but drivability wont be good and there is nothing in place to compesate for the boost. (i.e fuel or timing changes)
If ford flashes the update and then you reflash your tune, you negate what they just updated. Talk to your tuner though. I know JDM changes a lot of transmission strategy on their tunes but not sure if the downshift delet function is in it you would need to call them. I think theirs is the best strategy, but thats just my opinion.

The leadframe will need to be replaced at some point. They all will fail, its just a matter of when.
My 14 Roush truck shitthebed at 40k miles, my 2011 just started acting up at 200,000!!
The issue is the output speed sensor and metal contamination on the solenoids connection points. The contamination can be mitigated slightly with frequent fluid changes, but realisically it will/can still happen. You may not ever see the issue (highly unlikely making 600hp) but with boost you are putting more strain on parts so likely will have contaminents in the fluid.
Find a good transmission shop. My guy is very good and performace based, knows the 6R80 inside out. I trust him more than the Ford dealer to work on the trans.

In your specific situation, I dont know if I would do anything until you discuss with the tuner.
Good stuff!

KRGKen

Reaction score
I took mine is recently and I have the Roush and they did not really question it. I did make them note not to reflash the computer after they did it. The problems I had was them taking 3 weeks to get the part.