Lat's '19 Screw Stereo build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lateralis

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. Thank you for the quick reply.
So I guess if I buy the PX6 I will need to find the guy that you are talking about for custom firmware as well for a better UI experience, correct?

You don't "need" to but I would highly recommend it. If you are competent enough to completely mess around with the Android OS than go for it. If not, I highly recommend just going with his custom firmware. Join this FB group and just look around to see what it can do. Than msg Sergey when you are ready. He walks you through everything to get you setup.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tesla.style.FW.HU

joeyaoyp

Reaction score
You don't "need" to but I would highly recommend it. If you are competent enough to completely mess around with the Android OS than go for it. If not, I highly recommend just going with his custom firmware. Join this FB group and just look around to see what it can do. Than msg Sergey when you are ready. He walks you through everything to get you setup.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tesla.style.FW.HU
Perfect! I will check it out.

OP
OP
lateralis

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much of an update. Fixed my Zapco Z150.6 amp. I didn't mention it before but it's been broke for a really long time and I finally got around to trouble shooting it. One of channel 4's output transistors was blown so I replaced all of the output transistors for that channel (4 total). Much cheaper than sending it out to a shop!

Got the layout for the amp rack finalized (ish). I pretty much just need to run wire for it now and it should be ready to drop in the truck. Also I soldered up the Zen adapter plug to use the stock speaker wiring. So 4 free wired channels. Rears and front doors (going to be used for tweeters). I ended up having to go with sail panels for my tweeters since MTI couldn't get my mids and tweets to work in the A-pillars... bleh..

The other DSP and mono amp will be mounted else where since there isn't enough room. It might trigger some people when the see it later lol....

20200426_114459.jpg

20200603_130824.jpg

20200603_202519.jpg

20200426_114459.jpg

OP
OP
lateralis

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the back of the amp rack sorted. Wires ran for the factory speakers lines that I will be reusing (Front and Rear doors). Also the tie ins for the remote on/off signals (controlled off a relay) and DSP's power lines. I was worried about the weight of the amps, especially the Z150.6, since the amp rack material is a low density plastic and super soft so I used these cabinet 4 prong t-nut thingies. Maybe wood screws would have been fine but I didn't like that idea. Pretty much only thing left for this now is to get it in the truck and run main line power.

For today though I finally finished getting in the dual battery in. The tray used to have all the wiring on the top plate that holds 2 d34 batteries. I chopped the top off for clearance for my retrax bed cover and rewired the entire setup up into where the "2nd battery" used to be. Added some other 3D printed parts, one for kind of a battery tie down, and the other to hold the BMS sensing lines and battery jumper switch. The battery isolation switch kills power to in cab, the main battery line comes into the relay (there's a fuse in the engine bay for that line) and a 300A fuse going into the cab. The only thing extra I had to buy was the battery isolation switch and battery terminals. The joy of having extra crap laying around lol.

20200605_172728.jpg

20200605_172759.jpg

20200605_174432.jpg

20200604_170918.jpg

OP
OP
lateralis

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another small update. Got all the speaker wire ran today. Now originally I was shooting for having both my mids and tweeters in the A-pillars. MTI got a hold of me and said they couldn't do it since my mids were 4" and the fabric guy couldn't get the leather to stay glued down. Now I got a set of sails coming with the tweeters there instead. With that being said though I was forced to run wire into the front doors.

What I did was I took some speed wire I had laying around and pulled it apart. The wires are 18ga so I got the idea of running 4 of them thru the stupid plastic clip plug shit ass since the diameters are small. Basically 2 wires per (+) and (-) nets you about a 15ga wire when combined. This was super easy on the passenger side since there were 4 unused slots right next to each other. I used a straight pick to widen the holes out and shoved the wires thru. Drivers side was a little harder. I had to mix it up between the 2 plugs and de-pin 2 wires. The 2 wires I found to de-pin actually weren't connected to anything. They ran up to the mirror plug but when you pulled it apart the male side didn't have any pins on it. Guessing that a different model uses those pins for something as my truck does not have the technology pack.

Things left to do....
1) fabricate door speaker mounts
2) sound deaden doors
3) install amp rack
4) install sub box
5) loose my mind sitting in the truck for hours tuning the system.

20200607_155506.jpg

20200606_131424.jpg

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man look at all the fun you're having over there while I'm sitting back drinking cold beer smoking some ribs. Nice job by the way looks super pro. The amount of talent on these forums is pretty dang impressive.

OP
OP
lateralis

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man look at all the fun you're having over there while I'm sitting back drinking cold beer smoking some ribs. Nice job by the way looks super pro. The amount of talent on these forums is pretty dang impressive.
Fun... HA... Labor of love and hate. I absolutely hate the plastic clips that Ford uses. I swear every time I pop a panel one of those little bastards flies off into oblivion... Luckily I haven't broken anything.. yet...

My sails don't come in until the 11th though and I should "hopefully" be done before than. It should be all down hill from here. Wiring has always been the most time consuming for me.

OP
OP
lateralis

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish you ordered through me I could have save you some money. There's always next time.

Well I literally ordered the MTI stuff back in April. Everything else I already owned for several years. Hence the weird mash up of Hybrid Audio Tech, Hertz and different years of Zapco stuff lol.. Some of my stuff is from 2013. So who knows... they might crap out on me?

I don't know how long this will hold me over for. I'll most likely "clean" this up down the road. EI, 2x 6ch amps, 10+ ch DSP, matching brand speakers, and maybe a JL W7 in the center counsel. Maybe even a 6 1/2 and tweet in the center channel. So much room for activities in there and fun to experiment lol.