KO2's ok for overlanding...or what's better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Load Range E for overlanding. 1/2 ton trucks are not “light”.

There is no way on earth I’d overland my Raptor on a Load Range C.

DISCLAIMER 1: Saving a few ounces of tire weight isn’t my priority when I’m off road. I’d rather have silica, tread depth, sidewall thickness=weight.

DISCLAIMER 2: Please all, note, this is my opinion only—based on my objective analysis and safety margin based approach to overlanding. TO ALL—please base your decisions on your priorities, needs, and only see this as my opinion. I wish you safety and good health—regardless of your choices.
——————————————-
Raptor weighs nearly 3 tons dry weight (at approx 3 tons w/fluids and no passengers/cargo).

NOTE 1: Weigh your Raptor on a freight scale (with F/R load distribution)—with all of your gear, accessories, passengers, doodads, etc.—you’ll be shocked at how much your Raptor weighs for overlanding. You would also be shocked at the front/rear weight distribution.

NOTE 2: Weigh yourself and passengers—and lay off of the extra burrito if weight is an obsession.

I prefer the E for daily driving and as an all around tire—based on my priorities.

EXAMPLE OF PASSENGER WEIGHT: I weigh 175lbs and my wife 125lbs. Please—no offense intended, but one of our friends weighs 290lbs (close to my weight/wife weight combined). His wife isn’t exactly lightweight, which matters.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to have around 800lbs in the rear, and looking to get the Deavers/Eibachs added.
You're going to be overloading the rear axle, so the stock tires might be a little skimpy. I overland with the stock tires, but I stay under GVWR and under maximum load on each axle. It takes a bit of care to not overload a Raptor if you're going camping. Weight adds up fast.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam running 35/12.50/17 Goodyear MTR load range C on my 2020 Gen2 now but would do the Toyo RT if it were not for a month or so on hunting trips in the Rockies. A bit much for daily and tame roads but awesome when I needed them last fall hunting in Wyoming. Loaded down my truck was just over 7k lbs on the trip handled it great have 20k on them now and ready to swap them this fall however ( getting noisy). They are Load range C turned are rated at 2500 Lbs each give or take, plenty and These still weigh 64 lbs I believe. Nothing wrong with 10ply E rated just a preference thing.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure others will have better experience and recommendations, but I had a set of KM3's I loved for offroading, much more than my K02 as well as multiple Toyo tires. So I'd run KM3 for overland and K02 for everything else or Falken AT3W. Read great things about the Falken for daily/mixed driving.
@DFS Falken works well for us on our Raptor, LX570, and until something better arrives—we are content (based on our priorities/needs). Ethically, I am not endorsing any brand, but only stating my personal experiences with AT3W—on two family vehicles.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DFS Falken works well for us on our Raptor, LX570, and until something better arrives—we are content (based on our priorities/needs). Ethically, I am not endorsing any brand, but only stating my personal experiences with AT3W—on two family vehicles.
It's on my short list when it's time for new tires, primarily due to your recommendations coming from a place in OEM automotive engineering. Directly, or indirectly through osmosis if you will, you have far more exposure to tires and their reliability/performance than I could gather in lifetime. I've narrowed down to Toyo AT3 or Falken for my next mixed driving tire.

jaytperry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running Goodyear duratracs on my raptor. I've had great luck with them so far, they clean out of the mud decently, and they are great in the snow. And they are pretty quite imo. They handled the Idaho winter pretty good, much better than the nokian rockproofs I was running last year.

Alan C

Reaction score
I just got a set of cooper at3xlt in stock size. They ride much better and quieter on the road, last twice as long, and have a higher load rating. I have offroaded on these and the stock bfg at. These grip better in all conditions so far. Rocks mid river crossings sand. Highly recommend

Flatfuse

Reaction score
I'm running Goodyear duratracs on my raptor. I've had great luck with them so far, they clean out of the mud decently, and they are great in the snow. And they are pretty quite imo. They handled the Idaho winter pretty good, much better than the nokian rockproofs I was running last year.
Agree on the duratracs, they are much better than KO2 on wet roads and mud. I also like them better than the KO2 in snow. In sand-aired down, I liked the KO2 better. The duratracs only come in load D so I run them around 36 otherwise they ride a little firmer than C rated tires.