Knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score

As the title states, just recently developed this knocking noise, hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Truck is a 2017 with ORA 550 tune with plugs, full race intercooler, boost tubes and afe CAI. Truck has 45k miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated before making a trip to the dealership if warranted. By the way my previous account (owenthecop) was compromised so created a new account, not Sasquatch in disguise.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It does sound like a fan blade, or maybe a torque converter/flex plate bolt that has backed out and hitting something. Sounds like it is related to engine rpm? Probably not a fan in that case since it's electric.

Maybe grab a long screwdriver and probe around and listen.

OP
OP
I

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score
Thank you guys, i did hit some pretty good jumps so it makes sense if something did come loose. Knocking sound is irregular, so I’m not sure if it correlates with the rpms. I’ll look around tomorrow in the am

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you guys, i did hit some pretty good jumps so it makes sense if something did come loose. Knocking sound is irregular, so I’m not sure if it correlates with the rpms. I’ll look around tomorrow in the am

Based on your first video, the frequency of the noise appears to be directly correlated to engine RPM. As GCATX suggested, it sounds similar to a torque converter fastener backing off and scraping the back side of the engine.

OP
OP
I

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score
Based on your first video, the frequency of the noise appears to be directly correlated to engine RPM. As GCATX suggested, it sounds similar to a torque converter fastener backing off and scraping the back side of the engine.[/QUOTE
Drove it a bit and noise went away after a while, so whatever was loose might have fallen off. Thank you guys at least now I know where to start looking

OP
OP
I

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score
Based on your first video, the frequency of the noise appears to be directly correlated to engine RPM. As GCATX suggested, it sounds similar to a torque converter fastener backing off and scraping the back side of the engine.

@FordTechOne sound creeped up again, along with some vibration on the gas pedal right at 40 mph. Does this sound like the torque converter failing?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne sound creeped up again, along with some vibration on the gas pedal right at 40 mph. Does this sound like the torque converter failing?

It definitely sounds like it's external to an assembly. It's possible that the torque converter overheated and ballooned up, forcing the flex plate against the back of the engine and causing the scraping noise. However, when that happens you will typically have associated transmission issues. Might be time to get a diagnosis from the dealer.