King 3.0 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently picked up a set of used/rebuilt King 3.0s for my 1st Gen, and had a question regarding fitment. So I went to install them yesterday, but the front driver’s side was not even close whereas the passenger side shock lines right up.

Looking at the 2 shocks side by side, the top hats (anodized blue piece?) are identical. My question: shouldn’t these two top hats be mirror images of each other and not identical (one driver’s side, and one passenger’s side)?

It appears to me that I might have received two passenger side top hats on my shocks, and not a left and a right. These also look to be an older style of shock (looking at the pics on Kings website) so if anyone could verify the part #s that was would be extremely helpful. If anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

605EA35C-15A4-419F-8E53-D17812282A5D.jpeg

2196BD38-C650-47D8-A711-6687FBB57F2C.jpeg

4C362EA6-4E4F-4643-8CB6-F5D3B99D65E6.jpeg

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt patterns of the strut tower are mirrored to each other. So it one seems backwards, yes I would seem you got two of one side. I would just call King to see if you can sort it out.

OP
OP
MrGable27

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt patterns of the strut tower are mirrored to each other. So it one seems backwards, yes I would seem you got two of one side. I would just call King to see if you can sort it out.

Got it sorted. Apparently there is an old and a new style of top hat for the 1st Gen shocks. The instructions on King’s website are for the new style, whereas these are the older style ones. A quick call to King and the sent over the old instructions which called for drilling a 4th hole on the driver’s side.