Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

KIDOR Lemon Law Denied and Suspension Warranty Cancelled

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Woolaroc, Mar 1, 2021.

1. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

True, and good points. Still, it’s this kind of behavior that forces Ford to defend themselves to the hilt on every case that goes south, and that impacts the entire consumer spectrum. I’d like you to consider the 18 year old high school graduate who just bought the unlucky Focus, the most car they can afford and when they need to make use of the lemon law because their Focus is in the shop for 60 days on end, and this 18 year old is barely able to scrape by... THIS GUY, is one reason why Ford has very little sympathy at a corporate level once a vehicle with a lot of problems ends up in court.

Of course, that’s a very simplistic example. Ford and other manufacturers do a better job at customer service and attempted customer retention with buy back offers outside of court, but the point is still valid.

And then there’s the example he is setting for his kid.

Exactly.

Most correct answer.

Squale, GordoJay and zombiekiller like this.
  2. zombiekiller

zombiekiller EXO Crewmember

like I stated previously in this thread, I get it. My truck has done it, once. When it happened I got on the brakes hard while steering because I misread the terrain and the "bump" in front of me was much larger than I thought. When it happened, The computer's overcorrection destroyed one of the joints on the steering shaft.

The point here is that once a truck is modified from stock, it is no longer the dealer's responsibility to fix it. it is no longer Ford's responsibility to fix it.

let's say that I buy a 4" angle grinder. I start using it and notice that sometimes the cutting wheel wobbles a little when I use it.

then take the guard off, throw a 7" blade on it.

then the grinder breaks and cuts my thumb off, is it Dewalt's fault?

no. it isn't. it's my own stupid fault for using the device that I modified in a way that it wasn't designed for.

If your truck was behaving that way before modifying it, why would you choose to modify it?

If there are a bunch of trucks exhibiting this behavior, i'd guess that the steering logic has been changed post MY2018 and that change causes this behavior.

Perhaps that "change" makes modifying these trucks more difficult?

Perhaps the reason that Ford made the change was to correct a behavior that was identified in previous year trucks? ( they aren't going to ignore a bug that can be fixed on a stock truck because it has negative consequences to enthusiasts that modify their trucks.)

ALL software has bugs. The steering system is now dependent on software. You can't compare this scenario with a Gen1. The gen1's steering is mechanical/hydraulic and doesn't require software to function.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Mike O, Squale, sixshooter_45 and 3 others like this.
  3. Halo Raptor

Halo Raptor Full Access Member

I think everytime they fixed it he hoped it would go away. It didnt, it returned. It was in the Ford dealer modified on numerous occasions so they were fully aware, he never tried to dupe them. He took everything off because it looked like they were going to take the truck back and he was going to get another one. They denied his claim and that is where he is today. They fixed his truck the way it was a few times. On his last Raptor, he admits to everything going wrong with it being his fault, and probably would have never got rid of it if it wasnt involved in an accident that the insurance company totaled it over. He hasnt like his new one from day 1, he always said his 2017 seemed to be built better. He has had tons of problems with that truck.. I told him in my opinion it was built on a Friday.

Scott Haydon and Rick Luna like this.
  4. TwizzleStix

TwizzleStix Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1 Supporting Member

@downforce137
    @smurfslayer

I'm really curious about the "problem". There are too many unanswered questions. I'm quite sure it isn't a "design flaw". It doesn't appear to me at this point that it is a basic mechanical problem either. It is a function of sensor confusion. The kickback is an electronic response to exceeding the limits of the sensor(s). The broken rack/components is the mechanical failure associated with the suspension kickback into the rack, NOT the rack failing due to the electronic kickback. Please give some more detail in response to these questions:

1) What drive/steering mode(s)?

2) Traction Control On/Off?

3) Advancetrac On/Off?

5. downforce137

downforce137 FRF Addict

Mine was doing it in all 3 steering modes, baja and sport in 2wd, advacetrac off with 10sec hold

I feel as though it would do it whenever I was braking for a turn and abs would kick in while the road was washboard or medium bumpy..

6. phealy

phealy Member

Appreciate all the perspectives in this thread. Just want to say I’ve done a group run led by Helio and he’s a good guy. Always willing to help other drivers. He’s putting out some of the most helpful DIY raptor modification content on YT. Hope things work out for him.

also while on the run I did experience one death shake and it was scary.

Also worth mentioning that he worked with RPG on the design on their bed support and boxlink bars

GordoJay, Peterb, Rick Luna and 2 others like this.
  7. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

There is no software design flaw. The calibration is designed around the factory components, ride height, spring rate, suspension geometry, etc. Engineering cannot possibly design a calibration that will accommodate every possible aftermarket modification that someone could make.

gstahl, Squale, sixshooter_45 and 8 others like this.
  8. zombiekiller

zombiekiller EXO Crewmember

can you do me a solid and ask engineering to design a rack that will hold up to 40s? They can release it as a Ford Performance part. I'll line up to buy 3. :D;)

9. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

Right! I’m honestly surprised Ford Performance doesn’t offer more for these trucks, especially since they offer everything from a tune to 3 off road lift kits for the lowly Ranger!

10. fftfk

fftfk Full Access Member

Just wanted to follow up on your comment about successful in a lemon law suit. What exactly was involved? My thought has always been good luck when people are going on and on about lemon lawing a car/truck. I've always thought this was a very good representation of what goes into a lemon law suit (https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ffs-lets-all-stop-referencing-the-magnussen-moss-act.609911/).

You can probably figure out what my previous truck was from my link.