Kicker Key Install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evan9r

Reaction score
Im looking to add a little more power to my Morel Component speakers in the front of my 2017 Sony system. Does anyone have any advice or pics on how to install the Kicker Key amp?

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've installed and sold many. Most of my customers mount it to the metal bar behind the head unit. Once it's set up you never have to touch it again so mounting it back there is a good idea. Did you have other questions?

OP
OP
E

evan9r

Reaction score
So you leave the original amp in place and tap into the wires coming off the head unit? Do you have any pics of the install?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since you have the sony system, i suggest mounting the amp on the back behind the rear seats. all the wires are there. you have 2 options for wiring. pac makes an interface and wiring harness for the sony system, or you can cut the speaker output leads and wire it up as a high level input. the pac harness retails for $280, but you wont have to cut any wires, so its up to you which way you want to go.

OP
OP
E

evan9r

Reaction score
If I cut the speaker output leads will I lose all the factory chimes, etc?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I cut the speaker output leads will I lose all the factory chimes, etc?
no. you have to interrupt the wires so when you cut them, one side of the wires goes into the input side of the amp, and the other side of cut wires goes to the output side of the amp.

OP
OP
E

evan9r

Reaction score
So I got the AP4-FD21 and the APH-FD01 harnesses. The FD21 goes behind the dash and the FD01 goes in the back by the stock amplifier correct?

OP
OP
E

evan9r

Reaction score
Finally getting around to installing the Kicker Key. So I need to run in biamp mode and only need front low level inputs? Also Amp 1 wires go to tweeter wires on the harness or do I need to run stand alone wires to the tweeters? I’ve heard both ways. Amp 2 wires go to front door speakers and leave the rear door speakers to run off the stock amp or leave un hooked? When you tune the Kicker Key, how do you eliminate the subwoofer and rear speaker channels? Just fade to the front?

I bought some lightweight lexan to install my amps on in place of where the jack was behind the rear passenger seat. Thinking I’ll run the power wire down the passenger side and the speaker coaxial cables down the drivers side.