Keyless entry stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, not sure what the issue is here. Battery is charging at 14 volts, was at 13.4 when I switched the engine off, which I suspect should be more than enough? Start/Stop doesn't work, but then again at -11c (12 Fahrenheit) I wouldn't expect it to. Remote start works too.

On a separate issue, I can't find a carwash wide enough for the Raptor to fit in, and I can't clean it outside in this weather :eek: But that is a whole different challenge. This truck really is enormous compared to everything else on the road here in Norway.
It’s not the voltage that’s the issue, it’s the state of charge. The truck monitors the amperage being drawn from the battery; once it becomes too low on charge, it starts to shut off various features. For some reason one of them is the passenger side passive entry door handle.

As the truck is driven and the battery state of charge increases, the passive entry should start to function again. Alternatively, you could charge the battery with an AGM compatible charger and then perform a Battery Monitoring System Reset using ForScan.

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
Maybe I've got this wrong but isn't battery charge and voltage directly correlated? Having said that, I can now lock the truck from both sides, and open it from the passenger side. Which seems very strange but is sort of an improvement I guess ;)

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've got this wrong but isn't battery charge and voltage directly correlated? Having said that, I can now lock the truck from both sides, and open it from the passenger side. Which seems very strange but is sort of an improvement I guess ;)
Yes but if that charge is starting to drop too fast then the computer preemptively shuts the power off to modules. Is is not just a Ford thing. Past BMW’s (550’s, M3’s and X5’s) all did the exact thing. If the battery of the car gets too low, the keyless unlock/lock stops working and you need to use the remote button to lock/unlock.

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
Yes but if that charge is starting to drop too fast then the computer preemptively shuts the power off to modules. Is is not just a Ford thing. Past BMW’s (550’s, M3’s and X5’s) all did the exact thing. If the battery of the car gets too low, the keyless unlock/lock stops working and you need to use the remote button to lock/unlock.
Aha, that makes sense! Thanks :) What doesn't make sense is the rather odd sequence in which this stops working. First the unlock feature stops working on the drivers door, and then it starts locking the truck no matter how I touch the door, and then the whole system stops working. And now it has turned on again in the reverse order. Very strange.

Ah well, if it all starts working once the battery charges up again then it is just a little quirk. Slightly annoying if this system dies every time it gets cold though, when keyless entry is at its most useful to avoid having to dig the key out of my winter jacket ;)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Slightly annoying if this system dies every time it gets cold though, when keyless entry is at its most useful to avoid having to dig the key out of my winter jacket ;)

THIS is your problem. You are continuing to think like a peasant, with a peasant car and peasant features. As a Raptor owner, you are a bonafide wealth flaunting, carbon deficit inducing, privilege possessing, one percenter.

You keep Al Gore from falling asleep at night.

You are upper, UPPER class high society. God’s gift to ballroom notoriety.

Use remote start when it’s that cold and avail yourself of Raptor Privilege(™)

;-)

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
Haha, damn, you are right, it'll take me some time to get used to driving something this amazing and decidedly un-European ;) A friend asked me if there was a Webasto (diesel auxiliary heater) in the truck. I remote started it. We both laughed at the absurdity of using the petrol engine to pre-heat the car. At nearly 8 dollars per gallon. I still use it every morning though, preheated seat and steering wheel is absolutely glorious. I have however stopped looking at the fuel mileage screens.

Steve DeVito

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just got back from my first camping trip with the Raptor (2020 Crew Cab), and for some reason the keyless entry and lock functions (touching the door handle on the outside or inside) have stopped working. We spent a fair bit of time going in and out of the car at the start setting up tents and so on, and towards the end of that session it refused to open any longer, and now it refuses to lock as well. Seems like it just doesn't sense my hand on the door handle at all. Push button start still works fine, remote start works fine, remote lock/unlock using the buttons on the keyfob works fine. Only thing that doesn't work is the door handle sensor.

Note - it was -10 c (14 F) and snowing, the truck is covered in snow and dirt, but I'm guessing that shouldn't really make a difference?

Camping picture for good measure ;)
View attachment 332407

/Viking
Check your battery. When it gets drained those functions and others stop working. Just went through this. Get a battery tender to keep it topped off.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are correlated, but charging system voltage does not reflect battery voltage. To check battery voltage you’d need to let the truck cold soak and then measure voltage across the terminals. 12.6V is a fully charged battery, 12.0V or less is significantly discharged. The most accurate way to determine battery state of charge is to use an analyzer, which most auto parts stores will do for free (here in the US at least). The analyzer measures the battery’s amperage capacity and compares it with voltage. Low voltage and low amperage means the battery needs to be charged, full voltage (12.6V) and low amperage indicates a worm out/failing battery.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have however stopped looking at the fuel mileage screens.
I had 2x 455 CI Oldsmobiles... that’s 7.5 liters. both were capable of a brisk pace.
They also sucked down fuel like nothing short of my RMAX 1000, which only gets about 3 mpg.

When this current stupidity subsides, fuel prices in Texas will return to sane levels, probably a few months before the warm season, where we will spend decadent amounts of fuel pre-cooling our Raptors. :)

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are correlated, but charging system voltage does not reflect battery voltage. To check battery voltage you’d need to let the truck cold soak and then measure voltage across the terminals. 12.6V is a fully charged battery, 12.0V or less is significantly discharged. The most accurate way to determine battery state of charge is to use an analyzer, which most auto parts stores will do for free (here in the US at least). The analyzer measures the battery’s amperage capacity and compares it with voltage. Low voltage and low amperage means the battery needs to be charged, full voltage (12.6V) and low amperage indicates a worm out/failing battery.
This.
When the pandemic lockdowns started, I didn't run the rap for a couple of weeks and started to lose the lock/opening functions. Checked the battery and I think it was at around 12.0..not even nosing into the 11's. Not great, but started no problem. After the first drive, it still locked out the handle functions. It took a few drives before it was happy again.

When I'm camping I generally shut off the interior lights and turn auto headlamps to off. That reduces some of the draw from the in out in out.. repeat.

Kifaru woobies and doobies are incredible for cold weather. Very well-made pieces of kit and I highly recommend them.