Key stuck in ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alecklip

Reaction score
So I got in my truck this morning and started it up fine. Noticed the shifter was kinda sticky but didn’t think much of it. I just pulled in to park the car and my key is stuck in the ignition. I now realize the car won’t fully go into park. Or at least the season doesn’t think it’s in park so my key won’t release.

Anyone know how to fix this

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you turn the key back on? and play around with the shifter, to move the truck back and forth?

OP
OP
Alecklip

Alecklip

Reaction score
I can turn the truck on and put it into all gears. The issue is when I put it into park, the P on the dash is not lighting up. So I believe the sensor is not working. And that is what is preventing me from pulling the key out of the ignition because the key won’t come out if the truck is not in “park”

taking it into family dealership tomorrow, hope it’s a quick fix

Cobraman044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds similar to a common issue with Jeeps. The Transmission Position Sensor (TPS). It thinks it is not in park when it actually is. The difference is the Jeep will not start and says car not in park.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've narrowed it down to specifically the transmission, but I've had the key stuck because of the wheel lock as well. Took me a few minutes to figure out. Turning the wheel a little bit released it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That condition can be caused by a failed park detect switch, which is typically part of the shifter. It has an internal switch that provides ground to the key lock solenoid when in any gear range, and provides ground to the Instrument Cluster when in park. If the switch sticks in the range position, the key will be stuck in the ignition and the “P” in the cluster will not illuminate. If you pull fuse 28 in he BCM (that’s for a 2013, not sure what year you have) it will de-energize the solenoid and allow you to pull the key out so you can secure the truck until it’s repaired.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That condition can be caused by a failed park detect switch, which is typically part of the shifter. It has an internal switch that provides ground to the key lock solenoid when in any gear range, and provides ground to the Instrument Cluster when in park. If the switch sticks in the range position, the key will be stuck in the ignition and the “P” in the cluster will not illuminate. If you pull fuse 28 in he BCM (that’s for a 2013, not sure what year you have) it will de-energize the solenoid and allow you to pull the key out so you can secure the truck until it’s repaired.
To the rescue again! Damn good info!! :favorites13:

OP
OP
Alecklip

Alecklip

Reaction score
Seriously awesome info, wish I saw this before I took it in. I do have a 2013, but it seems weird to have a problem like this with only 14k miles on the truck. Picking it up tomorrow i will update with what the result is. Thanks guys!

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously awesome info, wish I saw this before I took it in. I do have a 2013, but it seems weird to have a problem like this with only 14k miles on the truck. Picking it up tomorrow i will update with what the result is. Thanks guys!
Let us know. This happened to me and Ford wants to replace the whole shifter assembly ($650+), but I was able to snag a new switch on EBay for $21 and put it in myself.