Kessel Run???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you see some weird things out there in KS along I-70.

Riley was loaded up with 47s and 60s this weekend. I usually only see a couple but their tarmac was full.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gearing up for another run from KC to Boulder and back tomorrow. Someone had mentioned a sweet spot for Gen2 Raptors mpg at 75mph. Above that the EcoBoost starts loosing efficiency against the aerodynamics of the truck and mpg degrades.

Where IS the sweet spot? 75, 80, 85? I usually have a strong headwind heading west, get the tailwind coming back. Recently average 13.1mpg heading out but was back up to an average of 16mpg arriving home. I also suspect gradual but REAL elevation change hurts heading west. Speed was 80-90 most of the way. I figure aerodynamics at 90 are killing mpg. I am willing to sacrifice a few minutes if I can stretch the range a bit.

Curious about everyone's thinking on this. The difference in my trip between average of 70mph and 80mph is about an hour in time. Before the Bidenomic impact, I never really worried about it - now I have to start thinking about fuel economy, nuclear Armageddon, Russian invasion and good places to hide in the mountains around Calumet.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where IS the sweet spot? 75, 80, 85? I usually have a strong headwind heading west, get the tailwind coming back. Recently average 13.1mpg heading out but was back up to an average of 16mpg arriving home. I also suspect gradual but REAL elevation change hurts heading west. Speed was 80-90 most of the way. I figure aerodynamics at 90 are killing mpg. I am willing to sacrifice a few minutes if I can stretch the range a bit.
It is right at 70ph....with no head wind. you will see instant economy go to crap as you start notching above......your boost gauge will start to show you need more hp / boost to overcome drag.

I usually hyper mile and am all proud of my 18mpg at 70mph....then in my head I think if I do 90-95....the extra 25 mph over 330 miles cuts my 5 hour drive to 4 hours....so I say screw it and hammer down.

Just did a trip this weekend Tulsa to STL @ 90-95mph most of the way on 44.....amazing how well gen2 and 3's just eat up the miles at those speeds.

I did STL to Denver a few years back....not sue I ever dipped below 100 in Kansas

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually hyper mile and am all proud of my 18mpg at 70mph....then in my head I think if I do 90-95....the extra 25 mph over 330 miles cuts my 5 hour drive to 4 hours....so I say screw it and hammer down.
Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. I estimate it like this (average with wind)...

65mph = 18mpg+
70mph = 17mpg
80mph = 15mpg
90mph = 13mpg

So the difference for my 600 mile trip between 70mph and 80mph is basically 1 hour in time. The fuel savings by going 70mph is maybe $20. Is my 1 hour worth $20??? Pedal to the metal.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1,360 miles in 26 hours round trip. 16.4mpg avg with cruise set at 80mph most of the time. Tires gained 6 to 7lbs between KC and Boulder. That surprised me.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average about 18.5 doing 75-80. Stock tires and mostly unloaded and only highway miles. Thats trip odometer calculated and not using the computer fyi. Once I go 37s, I probably will weep when I see the drop.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I have a feeling they cost me a little mpg. I know they are heavier than stock K02s.