Keeper magnetic gun mount location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaRaptor

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever mounted one of these in their truck? I wanted something that would hold my pistol for quick and easy access in case of an emergency . I was thinking down on the side of the plastic center console next to my right leg . I'm afraid to screw it in though. The screws might penetrate some vital wiring harness or something but they aren't very long . Only about a half an inch . Any ideas or suggestions for a location ? Thanks !399a214826b4620854f6edde7c615e90.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never would use anything I had to screw into place.

I use this one by gcode.
Sticks to place and the holding clip velcros to it.
You then select what holster series you want and then what pistol you carry.

Works great.

IMG_1646.JPG

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Don't use a magnet. That will leave your trigger completely exposed. Mount a holster that will keep your trigger covered. I keep a cheap kydex holster between the seat and the console. Allows easy access to unholster my CCW and reholster it to the truck.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive used magnets before in 2 different jeeps. Directly under steering wheel. It worked well. I haven't installed one in the raptor yet due to not wanting to drill.....

TheTip247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got that exact magnet in my truck and my car. I used heavy duty two faced tape for mine with zero issues. No screws! Keep in mind, I dont carry a full size 1911 pistol, I carry a Springfield XDS so its small and light. I have mine mounted to the panel under my steering wheel. Its right by my right knee. Easily removable with a little heat and goo be gone. Will be removing it and placing in my 19 when it arrives.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ive got that exact magnet in my truck and my car. I used heavy duty two faced tape for mine with zero issues. No screws! Keep in mind, I dont carry a full size 1911 pistol, I carry a Springfield XDS so its small and light. I have mine mounted to the panel under my steering wheel. Its right by my right knee. Easily removable with a little heat and goo be gone. Will be removing it and placing in my 19 when it arrives.

Not to go all puritanical or anything, but, have you actually practiced a draw stroke this way? Not once or 3 times, but enough times that you’re competently executing it from muscle memory?

Now, can you execute this draw stroke without sweeping a part of your body that you don’t want to shoot? Because in a high stress situation like needing to deploy a handgun you’re under the influence of adrenaline, your fine motor skills are first to be compromised.

I’m with @SilverBolt & @BangBang, a proper holster, securely fixed. If it goes flying while executing some heroic off road move or in a collision, it could cause more problems. Actually, I prefer to have the gun on body, rather than off body, but if it’s going to be off body - maybe you’re on a long trip, I would holster it. If you can’t afford a holster and the magnet is all you have and you spent your last dime on the Rap, ok, have a couple guns, bring enough gun and know how to use them. one is none and two is one.

seriously though, practice the draw stroke with either a blue gun or just your frame. work the bugs out before you have to do it under stress. Vehicle deployment and usage of a firearm is a skillset onto itself. It’s not often needed, but when you need it, you really need it. It’s a scenario in which speed tends to create many more fumbles and foibles than outside the vehicle, requiring deliberateness and calm. Tough to do when it counts.

There are some IDPA matches and facilities with vehicle stages, but this doesn’t really allow for practice. There are some training facilities that will permit you to train in, from and exiting a vehicle but this is a serious time consumer, and probably at least a day unto itself. Well worth it if you can get it.