Keep engine running and lock doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I thought if the truck is running and the key fob is taken with driver that the truck can't be shifted out of park without the key fob present or is this something that can be set in forscan.

If I remember correctly it's set that way by default but not 100% sure.

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, not sure why people think it’ll be stolen if you have the key - these trucks disable driving without a key present. So unless someone is hot-wiring, don’t worry about that.
I park, make sure the dash computer has “Auto Engine Shutoff” unchecked, then get out, lock the doors with the FOB, and go about my business. I hope the people saying “sunroof for the dogs” don’t live in hot places. In Texas, you’re coming back to a dead dog.

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my Gen 2 when traveling with the dog, I would use the remote start to lock him in with the AC running. I tried just locking the doors, but he'd set off the alarm with his movement. I didn't worry about anyone breaking in. He's an 80+ pound GSD/Belgiam Malinios mix, not a pup most want to mess with.
You can shut down the inside motion sensor. Check the dash display when after turning off the engine.

pjbeats

Reaction score
In my Gen 2 when traveling with the dog, I would use the remote start to lock him in with the AC running. I tried just locking the doors, but he'd set off the alarm with his movement. I didn't worry about anyone breaking in. He's an 80+ pound GSD/Belgiam Malinios mix, not a pup most want to mess with.
The only issue is if the AC belt breaks or engine shuts down for some reason. Been to a few calls for dead dogs/cats where this has happened including a K9 dog that died on duty when the cop left the dog with AC on and car stopped while he was inside recertifying weapons training. It’s now policy for K9 to leave windows open a certain amount and I would suggest the same. Leave sunroof open a crack and rear slider with all 4 windows down a couple inches minimum. Or leave the dog at home. It’s a brutal way to die. Convulsions happen within minutes but the suffering takes quite a while before they pass.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue is if the AC belt breaks or engine shuts down for some reason. Been to a few calls for dead dogs/cats where this has happened including a K9 dog that died on duty when the cop left the dog with AC on and car stopped while he was inside recertifying weapons training. It’s now policy for K9 to leave windows open a certain amount and I would suggest the same. Leave sunroof open a crack and rear slider with all 4 windows down a couple inches minimum. Or leave the dog at home. It’s a brutal way to die. Convulsions happen within minutes but the suffering takes quite a while before they pass.
Even if that were to happen, I never leave the dog unattended for long. Just time to run to the bathroom in a convenience store when on the road.

I'm more afraid of him getting to antsy without me and ripping out a seat.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, not sure why people think it’ll be stolen if you have the key - these trucks disable driving without a key present. So unless someone is hot-wiring, don’t worry about that.
I park, make sure the dash computer has “Auto Engine Shutoff” unchecked, then get out, lock the doors with the FOB, and go about my business. I hope the people saying “sunroof for the dogs” don’t live in hot places. In Texas, you’re coming back to a dead dog.
It gets over a 100f here in the summer constantly, I said leave the sunroof open, but when my dog is in there, all 4 windows are down half way as well, etc. I'm super paranoid about leaving a dog in a hot vehicle. Up here you can take your dog into any store as long as they don't sell food. I will leave my dog at home if it's hot out and I'm going into a grocery store, otherwise she's with me all the time. I never leave the truck running with her in it, she would probably drive herself to the dog park! IMAG0603.jpg