KC Flex LEDs cause major FM reception issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone with the KC Fles lights (LEDs) experience FM reception issues? I noticed when the KC's are on, the clear & crisp FM signal immediately turns to static and cannot hear much if anything.

I have two of the KC Flex's which came with the FordRaptorLights.com kit.

When I turn on the Vision-X LEDs, I do not experience this issue.

RESOLUTION:

This matter has been resolved.

I unplugged each KC. With only the drivers side plugged in, the interference was gone. With only the passenger side plugged in the interference was still there, BUT greatly reduced in amplitude (but still very annoying).

At that point I assumed I had a bad light. On a whim I unplugged my BD Sport Race lights which are NOT part of Jeff's kit. These are mounted on the A-pillars. With those unplugged the interference on the noisy KC was nearly absent.

I decided to try attaching the ground directly to the negative terminal. BINGO. Now there was no more noise, even with the BD lights plugged in.

So, if anyone else experiences FM noise, try connecting ALL LIGHTS to the same ground, preferably (at least in my case) the negative battery terminal.

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone with the KC Fles lights (LEDs) experience FM reception issues? I noticed when the KC's are on, the clear & crisp FM signal immediately turns to static and cannot hear much if anything.

I have some (china) cubes that cause the same issue. I figured since my light bars didn't have the same problem, I was just blaming china. I haven't looked into a solution because I was just planning to upgrade. I would contact kc and see if they have a solution (and please report back)
You can read about possible solutions here
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/03 electricity/radio_interference.htm

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some (china) cubes that cause the same issue. I figured since my light bars didn't have the same problem, I was just blaming china. I haven't looked into a solution because I was just planning to upgrade. I would contact kc and see if they have a solution (and please report back)
You can read about possible solutions here
Easy solutions to Radio Frequency Interference

I already called KC prior to posting. They never heard about this and speculated the wiring harness supplied with the kit, which is complete nonsense.

I sent a PM to Jeff too.

The KC's do have a filter on the back, so I'm not sure what's up.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I already called KC prior to posting. They never heard about this and speculated the wiring harness supplied with the kit, which is complete nonsense.

I sent a PM to Jeff too.

The KC's do have a filter on the back, so I'm not sure what's up.
Read that article I posted. Likely it is coming from the power supply to the lights. You can confirm by hooking them up an external battery. If the noise goes away then you need to shield the power supply cable. If the noise is still there then its in the lights

Edit. Hmm even with an external battery you might get rf from that. Wrapping power wire in tinfoil would be a quick rf blocker

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

if you find a solution, or if someone else has one please post. i will also try to tackle the problem on my truck now knowing its not limited to my china cubes

Last edited:

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've heard of this only once before. But it was when the cubes were turned on...I'll call the gentleman who had the issue and see if he figured out a solution. I went through everything I could think of with him....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
********* issue RESOLVED *********

I unplugged each KC. With only the drivers side plugged in, the interference was gone. With only the passenger side plugged in the interference was still there, BUT greatly reduced in amplitude (but still very annoying).

At that point I assumed I had a bad light. On a whim I unplugged my BD Sport Race lights which are NOT part of Jeff's kit. These are mounted on the A-pillars. With those unplugged the interference on the noisy KC was nearly absent.

I decided to try attaching the ground directly to the negative terminal. BINGO. Now there was no more noise, even with the BD lights plugged in.

So, if anyone else experiences FM noise, try connecting ALL LIGHTS to the same ground, preferably (at least in my case) the negative battery terminal.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My KC's cause static on FM radio

I have all 6 of my lights connected to the same ground wire and grounded on the negative battery terminal and the KC's still cause static on FM radio. If I turn off the KC's and run only the Rigids the static goes away.
There's no static if I'm playing a CD, just the radio.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have all 6 of my lights connected to the same ground wire and grounded on the negative battery terminal and the KC's still cause static on FM radio. If I turn off the KC's and run only the Rigids the static goes away.

There's no static if I'm playing a CD, just the radio.

Is it just one light? If you plug one in at a time does it occur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk