KBB Cash offer experience for my gen 1, anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this from both sides. Though as the business, the dealer shouldn't have assumed they were prepaid.

In the future, don't leave your vehicle without the check in hand

You could litigate them docking you the $$$, but you would exceed the amount you're pursuing in legal fees (and probably before you even get to court)

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this from both sides. Though as the business, the dealer shouldn't have assumed they were prepaid.

In the future, don't leave your vehicle without the check in hand

You could litigate them docking you the $$$, but you would exceed the amount you're pursuing in legal fees (and probably before you even get to court
That's my fear the fees would be to far advanced to be worth it. I had to leave the vehicle as it had a loan they had to wait on titled yet they were able to sell it without a title, seems fishy there. Secondly no one clearly asked or stated they were paid for for sure and saying " we will handle it all there's nothing else you need to do. To me and everyone in sales at my work means " we will pay, pickup and install" as there's nothing I need to do. They clearly stated they assumed they were prepaid as they told me that everyone prepays for work before it's done that's the right thing to do? But as a mechanic no on pays till they pick up their vehicle when works done..... So it's kinda wrong there as well. I'm glad you see it this way. I think it was totally unfair to not rewrite a cotract showing the actual amount that would be received which they didn't, and they just deducted it without telling me they were going to do this. Here is verbatim from the dealer in their last email from me.

" Thank you for contacting us. The customer brought in his vehicle to sell. The vehicle was missing the beauty rings that attach to the rims. The customer stated that he had beauty rims, they were out for repair at a vendor that both we and the customer use. He stated that the repairs were paid for. We went to pick up the rims and the vendor told us that they had NOT been paid for. We contacted the customer via email and at this point, he felt that it was unfair for him to give us a complete vehicle and to honor his word. The sales manger asked him to at least cover half of of the repair that he had already said was paid for. The customer now feels that he should not have to pay for any of the repairs that he said had been completed.

Again thank you for contacting us

No where in my recordings did I state they were paid for as they didn't ask if they were, or tell me I need to pay for them. I was told, "don't worry about it we'll handle everything". I hope this clears some stuff up.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remind me why this is in the Gen 3 section again......
I kinda didn't know where to stick it cause I trusted your guys opinions as it was a gen 1 sold to get a gen3 and didn't think you guys would go to gen 1 section..... Its safe to delete the thread though idk how to do so....

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually there’s part of the buyers order that’s a “we owe” and “you owe” section.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually there’s part of the buyers order that’s a “we owe” and “you owe” section.
If there is they never ever filled that out just wrote my pay off, and how much the KBB offer was and what my check will be. Then they deducted the repair out of the check number and never told me they were doing that or even gave me the option to pay myself.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how much i guess technically no, but its the principal they didn't inform me, or rewrite the contract that is what is totally unfair here so yes and no. I had to leave without the check as It still had a loan but i made over 12k$ on it over what i owed! they had to wait till they got the title before I got my check, although the funny thing is they were able to sell it before they got the title, seems screwy to me.
"Used car dealer" & " its the principal" don't belong in the same sentence.

DaveInFL

Reaction score
So I took a cross country trip in my gen 1 late may/early june to west coast from Indiana. Arrived back the 2nd week of June and filled out a KBB cash offer for my gen1 online. I made an appointment with a local used car dealership here who agreed to purchase my gen 1 for the offer. After arriving for the appointment and them looking over the vehicle they docked it down 1,000$. I fought hard with the aftermarket baja lights, suspension leveling kit ect and they agreed to go back to the original offer 1000$ higher. I informed them I had the beadlock rings(wheel beauty rings) at a local wheel repair place getting repaired from some rock chips from the cross country trip. I informed them that the rings were at this vendor getting repaired and the owner should be calling me when their done so I can pick them up. The sales manager asked me what local repair shop had them, and I informed him the name and owners name. The sales manager informed me verbatim "oh we deal with that guy all the time ourselves, heres my card have him call me when their done and we'll take care of it all, theres nothing more you need to do". So i signed the contract showing my payoff, and what my check will be for amount and I left. The next week the vendor called me and I told him you need to call the sales manager ect so he did. 30 minutes later I got a call from the sales manager that he was under the assumption they were already prepaid for and he just needed to pick them up? No where did we discuss who paid, if they were paid, or anything......I told him I was not paying as I was not instructed to. The next week he emailed me saying they would split the difference and cover half? I told him no as once again no one ever asked specifically about it and I was under the understanding "theres nothing else I need to do". Plus I checked with my bank and the truck was already financed through them to a new owner, so not my truck anymore. I went in the following week and claimed my check but it was for *** amount lower to cover half the cost? but they never told me they were deducting it from my check. My contract never mentions the beadlock rings or deductions ect just the original amount which I never got? Im assuming im screwed out of *** amount? Any recommendations?

The highlighted sentence above is the problem. What if the dealer had said "ok great, we'll pass on your name to the buyer and then you can arrange for pickup once the repair is complete".

Who would have covered the repair costs then.....certainly not the dealer. I think you got lucky in only paying for half of the repairs.