karaoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking into something resembling a karaoke system into the truck. Yes, I know, not what the truck is for, man card, all that. Just something fun in the car for kids and other passengers, if it can be done without breaking the bank.

Some background, I already have an aftermarket audio system in the truck. I also have the phoenix audio tablet (PX6), so getting access to lyrics on a screen or karaoke tracks through youtube is already taken care of (though not really a priority)

Option 1: Use a standard karaoke machine with mics and such that has aux output. Aux input into the PX6 and your done. I don't care for this setup though as you aren't utilizing the PX6, would be bulky to manage in the truck, and wouldn't be that easy to control.

Option 2: Add a sound mixer somewhere in between the PX6 and my aftermarket amp. That would mix in the audio from the tablet and audio from mics. One concern I have with this is that I'm messing with my existing setup, which I'd rather leave alone. As I understand it, I'd also have some DSP issues, since DSP is currently built into my amp. I should have DSP done before hitting the mixer (in terms of summing anyway) then do other DSP functions at the amp.

Option 3: This is an idea I got from the shop that put in audio system a couple months back. Since I'm not using a center channel speaker now, build a second audio system for the mics using the center channel speaker as the output. This is the idea I like the best, since I wouldn't be messing with the current setup and should be better overall than option 1. No mixing would be required.

If I went with option 3. the first thing would be choosing the mic system. That's going to be a challenge as I wouldn't want cheap junk nor would I want expense stuff either. It would need to be designed to not pick up background noise much so that it's not picking up audio from the main speakers at decent volume. Wireless would be preferred, two handheld mics for passengers and headset for the driver.

Next would be preamp, if it's not included with the microphone package. Most of what I've looked at so far do not, and can't be plugged in directly to an aux input.

The amp is next. It's not too hard to find a mono amp for around $100, with way more power than needed. I thought about trying to use the existing Sony amp (which is still in place behind the seat) but there is a mess of wiring and splicing back there for the new amp (which is under the driver's seat) and not sure if that can be changed up. I don't think I could use that amp properly just to power a center channel speaker. The original sub is back there though, which can be removed, so there is plenty of space for a mono sub.

Last is the center channel speaker. the wiring is still in place and I still have the factory speaker, which hopefully is good enough. If not I can get replacement speaker.

A bonus would be if the there can be a switch between the mic system and the new amp system. That would I could run the mic audio through the main sound system if I wanted to, or possibly to a bluetooth speaker outside of the truck. Second bonus would be if the system can be used just for conversation between front and back passengers when the music is fairly loud.

Thoughts? I know there's lot of knowledge of audio around here, and probably some folks who have worked with mic systems before.

My two biggest concerns are that the cost is going to be higher than I want to spend. I'd like to keep in around a few hundred at most. Next concern that mics won't work well in the vehicle with music playing do to feedback and such. I suppose a 3rd concern would be if the center channel speaker location just won't work well enough to give decent audio.

If it won't work, no big deal. At the very least, it's a fun project to think about.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
[QUOTE="melvimbe, post: 1421005, member: 35314”]not what the truck is for, man card, all that. Just something fun in the car for kids[/QUOTE]

pfft. Making Raptor more fun for kids = man card intact.

there has to be some kind of bluetooth solution that should work...

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
pfft. Making Raptor more fun for kids = man card intact.

there has to be some kind of bluetooth solution that should work...

In what way? I don't think wireless-ness is really an issue. Wireless mics are plentiful from what I can tell, usually using an RF band instead of bluetooth. The central problem is combining the audio from a music source with the audio from a mic (mixing) and playback over speakers in the truck. Karaoke machines and sound mixers do the mixing part just fine, but playback over the speakers is a bit more challenging, especially since I want the music source to be from the tablet/audio system head unit itself.

I did some research on karaoke apps as I was hoping that there it could do sound mixing from two sources. However, that doesn't seem to be possible. What these apps do is play an audio track and record your mic voice....then you can playback the mix, and sound effects and such. It's not real time. That's not too surprising if you think about it as the mics on a phone/tablet were design for phone calls, later voice control, never for mixing with other audio tracks.

I also need to understand mic tech better, to make sure mics are not picking up music creating a feedback loop (I think). I believe there are filters and such so that it mostly pics up audio from the person speaking in to it, but there probably still is some issues. If I remember correctly, when setting up mics on a stage, you always them to be placed behind any monitors on the stage to avoid this. That's not possible in the cab of a truck?

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JUST BOUGHT RAPTOR RADIO.HAS BLUE TOOTH,MIC FOR KARAOKE.SYSTEM WORKS GOOD.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JUST BOUGHT RAPTOR RADIO.HAS BLUE TOOTH,MIC FOR KARAOKE.SYSTEM WORKS GOOD.

This?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761MMMP2/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

That's quite what I'm looking for.

This is more the direction I was thinking.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MVXXW72/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

It handles the mics with preamp, so I should be able to connect this directly to a mono amp driving the center channel speaker. It's small enough to maybe go in the center console, and since it runs 5V DC perhaps turn it on/off with upfitter switches? I don't need the HDMI-ARC or audio input though, but it is nice to have.

I could probably get an splitter of some sort to send audio to the main speakers through AUX input as option if I wanted.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a crazy thought, which I'm pretty sure is just nonsense, but I figure I should verify that it's nonsense before dismissing it entirely.

My aftermarket amp/dsp is an Audison 8.9F. It has 6 input channels and I'm not quite sure how many of those are currently being used (didn't put it in myself). The original Sony amp is still there and might still be used. In other words, I don't know if the aftermarket amp is taking preamp inputs from the head unit or speaker level inputs from the OEM amp. Manual fpr the amp states that it can be done either way.

So how many outputs come off the head unit? Is it 4? (FL+FR+RL+RR) or 6? (FL+FR+RL+RR+Center+sub)

If I'm using speaker level inputs, then I'm using all 6.

The new amp was installed under the driver's seat so I can't easily take a peak at it.

There are 8 output channels. 85W per channel (@4ohm), 2 channels can be bridged for 260W(@4ohm). Sub can be pconnected directly or through preamp output I'm currently setup with...

1 - FL tweeter
2 - FR tweeter
3 - FL midrange
4 - FR midrange
5 - RL
6 - RR
7,8 - Sub

So I'm wondering if could take off the sub and power it with a separate mono amp, then use channels 7 or 8 to power a mic setup? This is assuming that I have an input available and that I can configure it all so that the mic input isn't mixed, summed, or anything with the other inputs, just straight out to a single speaker (center channel).

I'm further wondering if I can use the DSP/config tool to setup a separate preset where I do actually mix the mic channel in one other inputs from the head unit and send it to the main speakers for more of a true karaoke setup. I am pretty sure this is not possible, and I don't know that I'd want this anyway.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that I'd essentially have one system instead of two, and I'd be able to add more wattage to the sub while better utilizing the wattage I have available. Like I said though, pretty sure this is nonsense.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sir...

A karaoke system? I'm definitely subscribed to this. :)

It's on the ridiculous side of things, but what the hell.

I'm getting close to settling on this package for the microphones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ6RKZH/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The positives I see on this is...
- 2 wireless mics that hopefully will be decent
- 3rd wired mic option
- a handful of effects
- individual volume controls
- USB powered - 5V DC (perhaps tied into upfitter switches)
- No preamp required, can go directly to AUX input, RCA, or bluetooth, no mic input needed
- 2019 model
- Can take aux input or blutooth for mixing with music (not needed but nice to have)

Negatives...
- The size. 8.3 * 4.5 * 2 inch. Not sure where I'd put this thing.
- That blue and orange on the mics is ugly

Was also going to get this for the driver
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPDR5NT/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

This alone would be a good phase 1. I can run the output through the main truck speakers or a bluetooth speaker for now. if it doesn't work well, then I can just use the equipment in the house or something. If it works, I can consider adding an amp to drive the center channel speaker.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make a video when its done. Sounds interesting the more you type about it.