Kansas / Colorado highways or tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They set mine to 40 cold. It was 35 degrees that day and I live less than a half mile from the dealership. Didn’t exceed 35 on the way home.
You're expecting a tech in a hurry to think? And make a change from standard procedure? Or to measure the temperature of the tire and calculate based on the weather forecast what the optimal pressure would be? That's one heck of a tech. I want him working on my truck. :) As long as they overfill the tires slightly I can adjust them at home without having to break out the compressor. I like that.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're expecting a tech in a hurry to think? And make a change from standard procedure? Or to measure the temperature of the tire and calculate based on the weather forecast what the optimal pressure would be? That's one heck of a tech. I want him working on my truck. :) As long as they overfill the tires slightly I can adjust them at home without having to break out the compressor. I like that.
I’m not expecting anything in particular. They just consistently set the tire pressure at 40 psi. This is high for the vehicle and way higher than I run. I went for an inspection. Didn’t ask them to top off anything.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not expecting anything in particular. They just consistently set the tire pressure at 40 psi. This is high for the vehicle and way higher than I run. I went for an inspection. Didn’t ask them to top off anything.
Mine were 39 exactly cold (all 4) and 40/41 after driving few miles. Pretty sure 40 is there spec. At least my dealer.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They always set mine at 40 all around and it sucks. I take it down to 38f-35r as soon as I get home. As the seasons change I try to maintain that cold pressure as much as I’m able. As soon as it gets back up to 40 and over it’s definitely noticeable.
On the crappy PA roads, I've ended up preferring 38/35 also. Rides good, handles well.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting update - just did the KC to Boulder run this weekend. Weather was cool in the 40s. I dropped the pressure to 35 all the way around before leaving. By the time I got to Boulder pressure was at 42. Kind of surprised me - in the hot summer I gain 3 lbs. now that its cold I gain 7? Must be a combination of altitude and heat? BTW I did average 80-ish most of the way.
It’s crazy, as soon as you pass from KS to CO on I-70 it’s like driving on a test track. I think I shook a filling loose.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s crazy, as soon as you pass from KS to CO on I-70 it’s like driving on a test track. I think I shook a filling loose.
We spend all of our transportation money on light rail and bike lanes, so what do you expect? I didn't even mention that CDOT is famously corrupt. Fancy gyms for employees, political favors, graft, sweetheart deals, it's like Chicago with better weather.