Kansas / Colorado highways or tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be a doofus for asking about this so go easy…
Drove from KC to Boulder yesterday. Out in western KS and eastern CO, I-70 is horrible. The Raptor was bouncing all over the place, I have never experienced that before anywhere (MO, OK, TX, IL, TN, KY, AR, etc).
So I had a thought, checked tire pressure when I got to Boulder and sure enough it was reading 46 all four tires. My trusty Ford dealer set the pressure at 40 a few weeks back and I had left it there. I am running Nitto RGs, 35 17s load E. Plus it’s hot here, may hit 100 today.
I aired down 5 lbs each as I am heading back Thursday (maybe, damn the women out here!). So, just curious if tire pressure changes this radically out here in CO, is this normal?

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high temperatures and increased altitude will both increase the pressure in the tire. I'm pretty sure the factory C load tires are recommended to be at 38 lbs. The E load would have a stiffer sidewall so maybe lower to 38 (or slightly lower) and see if that helps?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP. Assuming no heavy payload and not towing. Use a pressure differential front to rear with lower pressure in the rear.

Try 36 front and 32 rear. See how that works. Adjust from there until you find your happy place.

I use 32/28.

Best.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run about 32. 35 on long trips just for tire wear. But I’m on stock tires. Are you vacationing or just passing through?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's normal. I just got back from a road trip to Washington and back to Colorado. My pressure in Washington was way low, but I ignored it because I knew that I was going to return to higher elevations on the Colorado Plateau(Idaho, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado) fairly quickly. It worked out because I unloaded a bunch of stuff at my sister's house and the pressure was perfect for no load while I was there.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run about 32. 35 on long trips just for tire wear. But I’m on stock tires. Are you vacationing or just passing through?
Vacationing… sort of. My son’s checking out CU Boulder to attend this Fall. First time to see campus with Covid lock down last year. Tours just now started back up.

I could buy a new Raptor each year he attends with out-of-state tuition.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Florida and don't have to worry about the elevation changes, but the temps do regularly change significantly at times. I'm running 36 ish front and 32 rear. Tires are wearing beautifully at 27,000 miles and it looks like I'll get at least 50,000 out of them. I'd lower the rear a little more, but each time I do, temp goes down and I get a TPMS light for low pressure. Truck definitely rides much better at lower pressure and handles basically the same. I'm running the C Rated BFGs.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vacationing… sort of. My son’s checking out CU Boulder to attend this Fall. First time to see campus with Covid lock down last year. Tours just now started back up.

I could buy a new Raptor each year he attends with out-of-state tuition.
Tell me about it. I have a son going into his senior year at Gonzaga. It does help them grow up if they can get away from the nest.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They always set mine at 40 all around and it sucks. I take it down to 38f-35r as soon as I get home. As the seasons change I try to maintain that cold pressure as much as I’m able. As soon as it gets back up to 40 and over it’s definitely noticeable.