K&N failed test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my suspicion after finding particles downstream on sensors but thought it may be coincidence. This is big if true. I'm sure alot of desert users here would have huge data on this.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is all old news,
K&N, S&B are performance filter so you do compromise some filtration over air flow if your going to throw dirt at it like the test.

K & N, S & B plus others is up front on that part.
You need to maintain it properly and often!!!

They do offer an extra dense cotton mesh, but I guess it would be like using paper.

I have two and swap them out about every two months.
IMG_20140622_112500_991.jpg

Running a sock over oiled based air filters will help and better for water and many do with the aftermarket CAI.
But if your constantly is the dust zone buying cheap paper filters and throwing them out frequently is the way to go.
Even with the loss of some power.

Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plenty of articles about this on the super duty forums... Guys dusting their turbos and destroying motors. I'll never used a k&n on anything forced induction.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been doing it for years, no problems here.

It's been talked to death on this forum for over 10 years.

And I have a sock to put over it if needed, but I do feel a performance drop using it.
I couldn't even run a paper one, hell, it would have to be the size of an 18 wheeler air filter.
Or I could pay Whipple to detune my truck about 40 to 50 HP
and see if I can find a paper filter that would even work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The test factored in large particles for real world vs small particles and still failed badly.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not posting to promote oiled air filters. BUT
If you research you'll find that most if not all Baja 1000 trophy trucks and non trophy vehicles run a oiled air filter with either or both the foam cover and/or nylon/synthetic sock.

There is always two sides to a coin.
In real world usage oiled air filters out perform paper in keeping engine safe and maximum flow.

Watching a bench test that happens to make the flat oiled air filter perform less than paper is bias.
Real world application proves other wise.
Paper filters will collapse on its self and if it gets wet your done for.

Paper filters are cheap and easier to just remove and throw in another one when it's clogged.
Lots of guys carry two to three paper filters when off-roading.
In the end it's what ever works for you.
All I can say is my intake track has never been dirty, not even a hint of dust.
But I maintain it with diligence!
My setup is completely open for max air flow.
DSC09293.JPG

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N filters are junk. I learned how bad when researching for my diesel truck in 2008. The Donaldson filters used by Volant for their intake kits and the OEM filters on GM and Ford diesels are the best and still have plenty of flow.