Just starting to look - need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Welfinator

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a raptor.

I have found a private party 2014 Screw with 50k miles for 39k that I really like. I have had the car inspected and all looks good! I also love the v8 and I can pay cash for it.

However I love the look of the gen 2s, the warranty, better mpg and lower mileage on the od. But they are expensive and I would have to finance. I am considering the following truck.

What do you guys think? Is it a good deal? Which one has better long term resale value? What would you do?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...By41PywMwg9ULhR-hr6LrAan06w#listing=233259656

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I realize that’s the starting point for negotiating but that seems a little high to me. Also, the wheels and tires aren’t to my taste so that kind of clouds my judgment.

The Gen 2 market is much more prolific than the gen 1 market so while you can slot into a gen1 easier, the gen 2 is going to be a better truck all around and will hold its value every bit as well as the gen1. The good thing is that Ford produced a lot of 2018’s and are on pace to do a lot of 2019’s so you’ll be more likely to find a better deal.

When the 2017’***** the market, people actually paid over MSRP or MSRP if they were lucky or good negotiators. The 2018’s started out a little over MSRP to a little under and eventually we’ve seen significantly under MSRP - 5-6k now. You just have to be willing to spurn your local dealers and travel to get the deals. Dealers order cr@p tons of 802A trucks fully loaded and if that’s your thing, with patience you can land one at a substantial discount.

It’s all going to depend on what you want to do with the truck, and what you’re willing to pay. You’re the only one who can accurately answer those questions.

good luck.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Agree with Smurfslayer, And if you willing wait you could order a low spec raptor in the 50’s.

dnewman

Reaction score
I agree with the other guys about the gen 2 but the more gen 2 on the road and market the less the value will hold on them the gen 1 didnt have as many built because ford was seeing if they would sell the gen 1 are svt and the gen 2 are not if u look at the value of gen 1 what they sold for and what u get now for them havent lost much value at all i paid 54000 for my 2012 gen 1 new and it still worth 42000 today 7 years later not bad on the drop in value gen 2 are still damn good trucks but more there are less the value thx

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, I would buy new. Find you an 18 which you can save quite a bit on since the 19 are showing up everywhere. The only difference between the 18 & 19 are seats and rear shocks. Us Raptor owners like to build our trucks our way so you start with the best and make it better your way. I never think about resale value, I don't plan on selling it even if I buy another one. I'd rather give mine to my grandson. That way I could borrow it if mine was in the shop for something, and the boy would love that deal. I've had my 18 a year now with no issues. Wait, one issue , it does not hold enough gas! I keep having to put gas in it. It's soo much fun to drive!! Any way you go will be fantastic I'm sure you'll have the time of your life making it what you want. Enjoy the ride my friend and welcome to the family.

OP
OP
W

Welfinator

Reaction score
IMO, I would buy new. Find you an 18 which you can save quite a bit on since the 19 are showing up everywhere. The only difference between the 18 & 19 are seats and rear shocks. Us Raptor owners like to build our trucks our way so you start with the best and make it better your way. I never think about resale value, I don't plan on selling it even if I buy another one. I'd rather give mine to my grandson. That way I could borrow it if mine was in the shop for something, and the boy would love that deal. I've had my 18 a year now with no issues. Wait, one issue , it does not hold enough gas! I keep having to put gas in it. It's soo much fun to drive!! Any way you go will be fantastic I'm sure you'll have the time of your life making it what you want. Enjoy the ride my friend and welcome to the family.

Just checked Ford‘s local inventory for the 18‘s. The one‘s with the 802a package go for around 70 - 71K MSRP. Any idea what they actually leave the lot for?

Is there a thread on this forum that discusses what people paid for their truck?

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just asdk. Attention, any dealers in the NC area or neighboring state with an 18 thats giving a discount on a 18 Raptor? Chime in if your willing to deal.

Ryan D

Reaction score
I use Eddie at McLaughlin Motors in Sumter SC. Always good to deal with and I know they have a velocity blue but it is a new 2019. Not a 802 has black door handles and no sunroof. Give him a call.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I agree with the other guys about the gen 2 but the more gen 2 on the road and market the less the value will hold on them the gen 1 didnt have as many built because ford was seeing if they would sell the gen 1 are svt and the gen 2 are not if u look at the value of gen 1 what they sold for and what u get now for them havent lost much value at all i paid 54000 for my 2012 gen 1 new and it still worth 42000 today 7 years later not bad on the drop in value gen 2 are still damn good trucks but more there are less the value thx

Ford gave us what we asked for, basically a truck in a category of its own, and the Gen1 was less in volume for sure, but also significantly cheaper than the gen2. So this is probably a lot more of a wash. The good thing is that while there still are some knucklehead dealers out there trying to get over MSRP for a Raptor, you just have to shop a little and you can get a new Raptor similar to the way you’d get a new run of the mill F150.

We wanted more production, we got more production.