Just ordered the Tesla style radio for my Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a bunch of reading-mostly positive reviews mixed with some negative I’m going to give it a go. My truck is a base with the little 4” screen so I’m not really giving anything up. Plus, I purchased with Amx through PayPal so I’ve got double protection (and amx doubles the warranty). I’ll report back after install.

2356984D-EC52-4DA3-AEC2-FE6D219645A9.jpg

4F089234-42D8-4C75-961C-A2589057D54A.jpg

613042B1-BE43-4DAF-AC58-15C661168A2C.jpg

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m down.

I’m waiting for their 3 button bezel due in June and then I’m a go too.

You did linkswell?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not truly a replacement system. It’s a new interface for the head unit...

In that it still supplies the Sony and/or B&O amp with the same signal that the stock head unit supplies. I asked a similar question to the sellers.

In other words.... you would still need to use a PAC or grab the speaker level outs after the Sony DSP/amp and piggyback to a processor for purposes of building a system.

What is super cool though is that with the right DSP.... you can have an Android app on there that allows you to wireless connect to your DSP and have control over it, from the dash, on the fly. That offers a lot of possibilities.

The two drawbacks are the loss of using ford Pass including the remote start via phone app and the loss of built in Sirius satellite radio.

There are two work arounds.... an aftermarket remote start system with phone app... and the use of a wireless hotspot to stream Sirius. The hotspot is going to be key with this system anyway in that you’ll want to be able to access the internet with your android tablet to have live streaming Waze, weather, potentially YouTube... email... whatever....

can wait to see how this turns out, does it tell you prevolt for the rca's

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that depends. It does have 4 channel pre amp outputs (I asked that, but not the voltage) so you can, and I will, run those directly to a JL Audio amp to power the speakers. The only part of the factory system that will remain are the speaker wires.

Like I mentioned, I did a lot of reading and investigating. I do not see the difference between the Linkswell unit and the unit Phoenix sells for 1/2 the $$. The Linkswell is $1699 (still a good deal for what you get) but the Phoenix is $800 for the 2g unit so I ordered that. If it is a pos I’ll lean on PayPal and American Express to be sure I get my $$ back and I’ll try the Linkswell. The install appears very simple.

In my sports car (400hp 2013 Miata Club edition with a boosted Ford Fusion engine) I have over $5k in a double din Kenwood, JL Audio everything, Maestro RR. It’s great and I’m able to use the head unit to display various gauges via connection to the canbus signals but for 1/3rd the cost this 12” display appears to be a real value. We’ll see!

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does have preamp outputs.

Youre right.

But that doesn’t change the fact that the factory integrated “stuff” won’t work without the Sony DSP or a PAC. That means things like collision warning, etc.

I guess if you’re on an 800 package that doesn’t apply, but for me... I paid good money for that thing to beep at me when I’m short stopping while tailgaiting someone.