GEN 2 Just gave up trying to run wire to S1 backup lights from engine compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you have been inundated with different approaches - I'm impressed by those fishing the wire inside of the frame rail - but here are my $.02. You can get insulating sheaths (from place like harbor freight, etc.) and wrap those around the wires, and then run the insulated wire assembly along the outside of the frame rail secured by zip ties. It may be a bit PWT, but I've had mine installed that way for a while. The insulating plastic sheath helps protect against chafing (particularly against zip ties, etc.). It was easy to drop the line down the fire wall and follow the frame rail. "Hardest" part is in the back when you are shuffling around exhaust and spare tire. Well worth the effort when backing up, etc.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not that hard, I’m re-doing mine this week wrapping the wire with braided flex wrap.

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it thru the passenger side frame.
That’s how I ran mine. Thru the frame and not next to it.
A fish tape is a must.
Go in from just behind front tire and pull the wires from the back to the front up to where the uplift wires are for power.
Zip tie extra wire at the back and stuff that into the frame also.
Easy

Same here; Passenger side frame to the aux switch cause I don't always need them but if I do they're handy.

View media item 14470

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I do think there is a need for Bourbon and that would be to supply the barrels for Scotch!!

admit it... ya need bourbon to make scotch palatable :p

Full disclosure: I right like Balvenie 16 and a couple other scotches out there. Obviously it’s not as good as bourbon, but it’s ok stuff ;-)

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here; Passenger side frame to the aux switch cause I don't always need them but if I do they're handy.

View media item 14470
My own preference but I think the backup lights look better mounted up inbetween the recovery hooks and the exaust tips. There are already some mounting holes up there so no drilling.
Where you have them they can easily be snagged and/or broken.
My opinion....no offense please.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My own preference but I think the backup lights look better mounted up inbetween the recovery hooks and the exaust tips. There are already some mounting holes up there so no drilling.
Where you have them they can easily be snagged and/or broken.
My opinion....no offense please.
f2ca720cf0c11e238a52150b6fd636ba.gif

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
admit it... ya need bourbon to make scotch palatable :p

Full disclosure: I right like Balvenie 16 and a couple other scotches out there. Obviously it’s not as good as bourbon, but it’s ok stuff ;-)
Ha no just need it’s barrels
Lol
Have you ever tried Laphroaig??

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ha no just need it’s barrels
Lol
Have you ever tried Laphroaig??
yes, my neighbor has been there. IIRC I’ve had the 8 and 16 y.o. --scotch-- 8 is relatively new release and not a bad bang for the buck.

ETA that we’re talking about scotch here folks, so peeps like @melvimbe don’t go all epstein on us.

Last edited: