GEN 2 Just gave up trying to run wire to S1 backup lights from engine compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent 2 hours rolling around under my 2019 Raptor truck this morning trying to find a clean way of running wire from Baja Designs S1 backup lights that I currently have tapped into passenger side rear tail light. I got the harness that also allows you to run them off one of the upfitter switches but that requires running a wire under the truck from the back passenger side to the front passenger side.

I just don't see any clean way to do this and I can't find an pics showing the path to run a wire from under the truck.

Does anyone have pics showing the best path for running a wire from the back of the truck to the passenger side of the engine compartment?

I'm familiar with frame clips but I don't even see good places to put them and I would really rather have the wires up higher than on the side of the frame.

Starting at the back of the truck I see some thin metal cross 'U' channel beams that run from the left to right side and support the bed of the truck. These have a few holes in them. And would be a good place for the wire because they are way up high. I could drill another small hole next to the factory holes (about the size of a dime) and loop a wire tie thru them to hold up the wire? But that's not really a professional solution and that will only get me part of the way.

How are people running a wire from the back bumper to the engine compartment?

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it thru the passenger side frame.
That’s how I ran mine. Thru the frame and not next to it.
A fish tape is a must.
Go in from just behind front tire and pull the wires from the back to the front up to where the uplift wires are for power.
Zip tie extra wire at the back and stuff that into the frame also.
Easy

OP
OP
Palmetto_Raptor

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it thru the passenger side frame.
That’s how I ran mine. Thru the frame and not next to it.
A fish tape is a must.
Go in from just behind front tire and pull the wires from the back to the front up to where the uplift wires are for power.
Zip tie extra wire at the back and stuff that into the frame also.
Easy

OK... I got a couple 10' Baja Designs extension wires. These are in a heavy sheath and have Weather Pack plugs on both ends. Were you pulling regular double strand wire and then adding the Weather pack connectors later? What gauge wire did you use?

You ran a fish tape thru the frame all the way from the front of the truck to the back in one pull? Or did you go into holes in the frame and pull a little at a time?

Thanks!

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, what he said.

I didn’t route through the frame, I just ran along the frame, being mindful of possible contact points. It’s time consuming, but not difficult. You’re in SC, so it --can’t-- be that cold :)

Mine goes down from the upfitter area, zip tie loosely around a convenient frame to harness connector, over near the wheel well plastic. Gorilla tape to a 2nd nearby harness, an repeat the process down along the frame. If you’re exceedingly cautious, run some wire loom as well.

I’d say it’s a 2 pint job. Time on the ground under a vehicle is expensive, consuming ~ 2x the amount of beer.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beer? You gotta up your rates man. Scotch is there going rate these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Double insulated wire and you do not need a fish to run in frame

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What everybody else said. Come down from your engine by the wheel area (zip tie it out of the way). And then into the passenger side frame rail. Feed it along that to the back where you can exit and go right up. Nice and easy.

Not sure which harness you are using but our Upfitter Control Harness is 1 solid piece and we give you a good length for this purpose (to route it around things): http://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystal...ness-for-2017-ford-raptor-s1-s2-reverse-kits/

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more vote for fishing the harness down the frame rail, it took me some time, and I used a fish tape, and worked out really well in the end.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man Law: it’s only acceptable to drink scotch if there’s no bourbon readily available :p

Aren't they technically the same thing? Only Scotch is FROM Scotland, and Whiskey is from Ireland (or TN?). Everywhere else it's bourbon? Something like that?