Just checked my catch can. Oh my!

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by 03'Darin, Jan 10, 2019.

1. kid icarus

kid icarus Full Access Member

Wow. This might explain some misfires too.

2. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

Another option is the Moroso air/oil separator and catch can. That's what I installed on my GEN1, and it's quite effective.

3. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

next you’re going to go back to trying to convince people to drill hole in the intercooler and void their warranties.
    Thanks ‘Darin! great info. The good news is, combustion is a very quick way to go :)

Bhollier likes this.
  4. 03'Darin

03'Darin FRF Addict

Yes it's a Gen 2. Installation is very simple. It's basically "plug and play". Take off the PCV line on the passenger side and snap the new line with the catch can in place of the line you took off. The bracket that holds the catch can goes on a stud thats on the fire wall just below the hood line. Takes about 5 minutes total

Yeah but I can't imagine that "shit" going through the intake, down over the valves and into the combustion chamber. Over time that can't be good for any of those components.

That's only 6k miles of accumulation. With it being so full any time I would turn that crap had to be flowing right into the intake. So who knows how much more actually got through.

What prompted me to check this was that for about the last 1,500 miles or so my truck feels like it has a miss wen I'm just cruising along at very light throttle. I just changed the air filter and was going to do plugs again (I'm at 37k miles), plus I am getting ready to have the shop do the PCM and TCM updates. So I figured I'd check the catch can out of curiosity. I've driven the truck about 75 miles since yesterday and really haven't notice that "miss" I had been feeling. I'm still going to change the plugs when I get time to see what they look like.

I am now a FIRM BELIEVER in the need for a catch can on these motors

Hawaiian Time and kid icarus like this.
  5. Hawaiian Time

Hawaiian Time Member

Thanks for all the Catch Can info. I will definetely be adding this on my 2017!

What TCM and PCM updates are needed?

6. 03'Darin

03'Darin FRF Addict

You're welcome

Depends on your build date and current software version. I have an issue with the transmission shifting funky and the newer TCM programing is supposed to address that.

Hawaiian Time likes this.
  7. Huck

Huck FRF Addict

Mine was just updated over the holiday and it’s awesome. Actually fun to drive again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 03'Darin

03'Darin FRF Addict

That's good to know

9. squeak

squeak Full Access Member

Where are you all ordering them from?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. 03'Darin

03'Darin FRF Addict

I ordered right through JLT. Everyone had the same price when I was buying mine