Just another reason to stick with a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are there lots of unsold 2020 Raptors in Canada? The Ford website shows exactly one within a 500 mile radius of me ...

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys - I think we need to bring this conversation back to the topic at hand...we are talking Additional Dealer Markup on Raptors (a luxury good)...not hoarding and price gauging on essential goods during a disaster. These are two entirely different topics.

That being said...I stand by my statement. ADM should be outlawed...as should hidden fees...resort fees...etc. My argument is more a truth in advertising argument. Ford publishes the MSRP (I get the S stands for suggested) which has historically been considered the price at which you negotiate down from and applies to the country as a whole. If the price of the Raptor should be higher due to demand then Ford should raise the published price. I view it the same as airlines/ticketmaster publishing one price for a ticket and then adding 25 - 40% of the cost in fees when you try and check out. It is nothing more than a scam and scumbaggery.

There is a reason dealerships are referred to as stealerships...and that reason does not involve them being masters of market analysis and supply/demand.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...ADM should be outlawed...

The only reasons you give are that you don't like it. You want to be able to pay your price for anything you want when you want it and to hell with anything that might get in your way. The Soviet Union fixed prices. That didn't work out so well. The shelves were bare. Unless you were connected. They replaced one group who could get what they wanted when they wanted, the rich, with another, the Party. Either way, someone is going to lose out when supply can't meet demand. You just want it to not be you. That's nice. With that and $5 you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there lots of unsold 2020 Raptors in Canada? The Ford website shows exactly one within a 500 mile radius of me ...

last I checked there were 15 new 19/20s in my area, it's crazy how you guys down south get ripped off on ADM fees.

I remember when the Gen 1s were in their final few months the prices went from 43k to 71k USD and every single truck I looked at ended up down south lol.

You need to add bullets, powder and primers to the above list. J/K
No really nothing wrong with supply and demand on luxury items, that’s how it is supposed to work. Hopefully each dealership gets at least a couple. I can only imagine what ADM my dealership will charge if they only get one Raptor R.

I've been told to expect a "starting" price of 119k and upwards of 135k including markups. at my local Ford Performance dealer, I'm one of the first in line on a Gen 3 but I've been warned that Ford collectors will pay 150k or more.

BUT in regards to the TRX, it will be interesting to see how these trucks hold their value. Especially now that SRT is dissolved and FCA/Stellantis doesn't know how many trucks they are actually building. FCA said last fall they would build enough to try and stop this, but now reports say only 6k trucks a year at most.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That being said...I stand by my statement. ADM should be outlawed...as should hidden fees...resort fees...etc. My argument is more a truth in advertising argument. Ford publishes the MSRP (I get the S stands for suggested) which has historically been considered the price at which you negotiate down from and applies to the country as a whole. If the price of the Raptor should be higher due to demand then Ford should raise the published price. I view it the same as airlines/ticketmaster publishing one price for a ticket and then adding 25 - 40% of the cost in fees when you try and check out. It is nothing more than a scam and scumbaggery.

There is a reason dealerships are referred to as stealerships...and that reason does not involve them being masters of market analysis and supply/demand.

Playing devil's advocate for a little bit, and ignoring the hidden fees side of the argument, it's not exactly objective to be against prices above MSRP when demand is high, but in favor prices below MSRP when the demand is low. I think you could make an argument that if you don't want to pay ADM, then don't buy from that dealership. As technology makes it easier for customers to buy from a wider range of dealerships, you also have a better chance of finding a deal that you think is fair.

rosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also part of the GT500 forum, those guys are still discussing where to find true MSRP deals (ie. not bait and switch) on non-track 2020s, and you can forget about finding a 2020 Carbon Fiber Track Pack car at MSRP (check out below). So, this stuff is quite common, wait until the 2021 Raptors arrive and then the 2022 R Raptors, it will also be quite hilariously overpriced.

View attachment 162115

I was just informed that my dealership is getting an antimatter blue GT500 with the track pack and will be priced at $110k (vinyl stripe) about 12 over.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only possible way to lock vehicles into MSRP, would have to be with the manufacturer stating it. Of course unlike mobile phones and appliances, the auto business has never been like that. Tesla is the only one for the most part and sells direct. Same may hold true for Rivian and the other newcomers soon. Will legacy manufacturers have to follow suit? Develop a new sales model?

The ADM game is a double sided sword. One side is you can pay whatever the stealership wants to get that vehicle you have to have. The other side of it is, you can wait until demand dries up and the other side of the sword is a price at invoice. I bought mine for just under invoice, so it would be hard to fork up extra on top of MSRP for a new truck. I’ll just ride my Gen 2 out and keep enjoying it.

So if fixed pricing was the norm. You would never be able to get that great deal.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only possible way to lock vehicles into MSRP, would have to be with the manufacturer stating it. Of course unlike mobile phones and appliances, the auto business has never been like that. Tesla is the only one for the most part and sells direct. Same may hold true for Rivian and the other newcomers soon. Will legacy manufacturers have to follow suit? Develop a new sales model?

The ADM game is a double sided sword. One side is you can pay whatever the stealership wants to get that vehicle you have to have. The other side of it is, you can wait until demand dries up and the other side of the sword is a price at invoice. I bought mine for just under invoice, so it would be hard to fork up extra on top of MSRP for a new truck. I’ll just ride my Gen 2 out and keep enjoying it.

So if fixed pricing was the norm. You would never be able to get that great deal.

2 great points.

will Ford and the like have to follow suit? on one hand I hope so in a way because it would be awesome if/when they release the B&P for the Gen 3 Raptor, I could simply build one then click "Order Now" and give my CC for a 500$ down payment.

the flip side of this, is Ford could simply say, "ok now there's be no dealer discounts on these models".