Just a warning for those tuning gen3s.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With OTA updates, I’m curious how it would work with a tuned PCM/TCM. Are they able to push down updates to those as well (and potentially break things) or are OTA updates only for the SYNC system?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With OTA updates, I’m curious how it would work with a tuned PCM/TCM. Are they able to push down updates to those as well (and potentially break things) or are OTA updates only for the SYNC system?
‘21’s and up F-150 can receive updates to most modules now.

Hey time will tell. Make your own assumptions.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘21’s and up F-150 can receive updates to most modules now.

Hey time will tell. Make your own assumptions.
Indeed. I want to tune again but i'm waiting for @GooseTuned to get his shop truck and work his magic and for others to tune first and see what happens with OTA updates.

Hopefully the programmers at Ford cared enough and thought of something like this:
If ($InstalledCodeHash -notmatch $KnownFactoryHash){
#don't update
} Else {
#Update
}

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Indeed. I want to tune again but i'm waiting for @GooseTuned to get his shop truck and work his magic and for others to tune first and see what happens with OTA updates.

Hopefully the programmers at Ford cared enough and thought of something like this:
#don't update
} Else {
#Update
}
I’d say turn auto updates off. Then once you learn of an update that could affect the pcm and or tcm, flash back to factory and take the update. Verify with your tuner, if anything needs to be done, before you flash back. May not be this simple, but then again it could.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

#don't update
} Else {
#Update
}

I don't think Ford really likes that customers are adding after market tunes, so I don't think they put a lot of effort into make it easier to use them. I would guess that if an OTA update messes up your tune, you'll be able to get everything reset at a dealer...for a fee. K223 probably has the correct approach. You'll need to turn off automatic updates and get a recommendation from the your tuning company on whether their tune is compatible with an update.

I would not be surprised if these OTA updates only happen once a year or so though.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking back at the Gen 2, I think there was 1 update for the pcm and it wasn’t a recall. So unless you had a problem I can’t see it even being needed. Then the phaser update was another. At this point the current ecoboost lineup is even more perfected. Wouldn’t imagine much will come out. But that remains to be seen.

Sync updates will be the major thing as in the past. I would imagine many more updates to say the Lightning will be dropped down as this is a new platform and much more heavily software based. I imagine they will keep tuning it for a while.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think Ford really likes that customers are adding after market tunes, so I don't think they put a lot of effort into make it easier to use them. I would guess that if an OTA update messes up your tune, you'll be able to get everything reset at a dealer...for a fee. K223 probably has the correct approach. You'll need to turn off automatic updates and get a recommendation from the your tuning company on whether their tune is compatible with an update.

I would not be surprised if these OTA updates only happen once a year or so though.
Didn't know there was an option to disable auto updates. Clearly I don't have mine yet and have no idea what the options are!

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

#don't update
} Else {
#Update
}

Should be a couple of weeks until I get mine :)