JLT Oil Separator Quest -- No Oil Residue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I routed the JLT lines (to the extent that I could) so they went under existent plumbing and connected that way. While the passenger side is slightly higher, it's hardly noticeable and I didn't have to do any trimming.

Same.

I also thought it wasn’t catching anything when I initially installed it but it was only after 500 miles. Check after ~1k and you’ll definitely see some inside. I empty mine every oil change or 5k miles and I get at least 1/3 full.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also able to route the hoses under the heat shield without any trimming or issues.

Just emptied mine. Not a ton of oil but it's definitely working. I was initially a little hesitant getting the catch can because I heard of people who's catch can filled up and backed into their engine... After having it on for 4400 miles, I really don't see how that'd even be possible.

20200601_131124.jpg

20200601_131117.jpg

jaggwaa

Reaction score
I was also able to route the hoses under the heat shield without any trimming or issues.

Just emptied mine. Not a ton of oil but it's definitely working. I was initially a little hesitant getting the catch can because I heard of people who's catch can filled up and backed into their engine... After having it on for 4400 miles, I really don't see how that'd even be possible.

View attachment 144814

View attachment 144817

Good job. I think that oil bottle markings are going to 100k :D

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a JLT Oil Separator on my 2020 at ~200 miles. Due to Covid-19, it now has slightly over 400 miles on the odo, which is also to say that I'm still breaking it in and "babying" the engine. I just checked the catch can and found that it had absolutely no oil residue in it. Non. Zippo.

I wasn't expecting a lot since I've only driven the truck 200 miles since install, but thought the inside would at least be coated with an oily mist. Should I expect to see anything at this stage?

As others have said you need to put more miles on the truck. I didn't get anything my first 500-1k miles. Having said that. Because you went with the JLT and it's single valve design you will only ever get very little. This is because you are only catching blowby when not in boost. Basically at idle and cruising. The dual valve systems like UPR catch during all phases of engine operation most notably during periods where you're into the turbos.

Amazingly uninformed people seem to use JLT like a religion and scoff at the dual valve designs as not necessary. Here's a good article but do some research and be informed. You'll be ahead of about 90% of the people on this forum.

https://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/...lve-Oil-Catch-Can-vs-a-Single-Valve_b_13.html

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed a JLT Oil Separator on my 2020 at ~200 miles. Due to Covid-19, it now has slightly over 400 miles on the odo, which is also to say that I'm still breaking it in and "babying" the engine. I just checked the catch can and found that it had absolutely no oil residue in it. Non. Zippo.

I wasn't expecting a lot since I've only driven the truck 200 miles since install, but thought the inside would at least be coated with an oily mist. Should I expect to see anything at this stage?

which is exactly why they are not really needed. The amount of oil in the system is so low, it is easily passed and burnt.

Remoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the oil separator and after 5,000 miles barely had anything in it. I have a gen 1, but i believe the separators all do the same thing. Pull the oil out of the PCV line. Do you have a catch can. Ive read plenty to figure out the ecoboosts need a catch can due to the pressures the 3.5L has.

SRPRACING

Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with running a single valve. Yes a dual valve will catch more but not everyone tracks or races their raptor. So for the average casual daily driver, single valve is perfect for them. Or be like many people and stick stock. Some will catch more than others but there’s many factors that play into it.

If you do run a dual valve DO NOT gut the pcv valve. Keep the stock pcv valve in place. Only catch can you can gut the pcv valve on is the Fullrace since they remove the intake manifold connection. Most aftermarket check valves work great when going into boost but when decelerating or idling(vacuum is highest) they don’t have the ability to control the flow and will in fact suck oil.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said you need to put more miles on the truck. I didn't get anything my first 500-1k miles. Having said that. Because you went with the JLT and it's single valve design you will only ever get very little. This is because you are only catching blowby when not in boost. Basically at idle and cruising. The dual valve systems like UPR catch during all phases of engine operation most notably during periods where you're into the turbos.

Amazingly uninformed people seem to use JLT like a religion and scoff at the dual valve designs as not necessary. Here's a good article but do some research and be informed. You'll be ahead of about 90% of the people on this forum.

https://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/...lve-Oil-Catch-Can-vs-a-Single-Valve_b_13.html
I have the UPR kit on my '17 and get 2 fl. oz. roughly every 5k miles. Love the UPR kit. Goodyear hoses and factory connectors. I did have to trim under the foam engine cover, but who cares. If I remove the hoses and put the trimmed foam cover back on, it looks exactly like stock. The trimming is just underneath to clear the hoses and not visible from the outside. It still sits the same.