JLT OIL SEPARATOR Hose Oil Buildup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose from the cam cover to the breather builds up an oily film of droplets that, if left unattended over a few weeks, runs down and drips on the cam cover, spark plug wire, and suspension. Anyone else having this issue?

In the first image below, although it doesn't show very well, there is small beads of oily moisture on the hose (the tiny shiny dots on the hose). It is the shiny black hose compared to the dry dull black hose on the other side of the separator.

In the second image, I have wiped the hose with a paper towel. Some of the oily film has built up enough on the hose whereby the paper towel shows spots of brown oil drips along with the other black moisture buildup that got wiped off.

JLT-5-1.jpg

JLT-4-1.jpg

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the hose has gone bad. Looking at the proximity it is to your valve cover, I am going to assume that heat played a huge role here. I routed mine out away from the valve cover to avoid the heat.

I'd replace it. JLT can probably sell you another segment, and reading their instructions for a 2018 F150 5.0 (father's truck), you should be able to pull that fitting out, swap hose, and put the fitting back in.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a major fail on JLT's part when it came to choosing what hose to use around motor oil. JLT should give you a replacement hose that is rated for it's intended purpose IMO.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted JLT and received a reply in less than 30 minutes. They will replace the unit and hoses with new:

"...We changed the hose brand/style for intermittent issue we were having like what you're seeing. The new Eaton hose is much better."

Looks like we can put this thread to bed.