JL VXi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%, I was just wondering if I used for example ZEN-A2B, would that remove surrounds entirely? Where does ZEN connects to OEM system?
the zen connects at the oem amp behind the rear seat. its priority is to retain the oem functions while providing rca outputs. pac makes a harness for the first gen b&o (18-20) system however with the snipping of a plastic tab will also fit the the second gen b&o (21-current) however the pin locations are different and using that harness will give you wires for the headrest and overhead speakers. they are labeled incorrectly though. if you really wantrd to retain them, you will need an 12 channel processor and enough amps to have enough outputs to control those speakers.

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the zen connects at the oem amp behind the rear seat. its priority is to retain the oem functions while providing rca outputs. pac makes a harness for the first gen b&o (18-20) system however with the snipping of a plastic tab will also fit the the second gen b&o (21-current) however the pin locations are different and using that harness will give you wires for the headrest and overhead speakers. they are labeled incorrectly though. if you really wantrd to retain them, you will need an 12 channel processor and enough amps to have enough outputs to control those speakers.
So, as I have 2023 I'm fine with ZEN-A2B. Right? Do you usually pull new wires to the door speakers (I'm planning on upgrading them) or do you use the oem wires from the oem amp?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, as I have 2023 I'm fine with ZEN-A2B. Right? Do you usually pull new wires to the door speakers (I'm planning on upgrading them) or do you use the oem wires from the oem amp?
you dont need to upgrade the wires in the doors if you dont want to. you will not hear a difference. luckily ford still uses pur copper for wires so new speaker wire that may be thicker is probably cca and wont do much good. however it is all dependent on how much power you want to send to your new speakers. the zen module is what you need for the truck, so go ahead and go for it. i would highly recommend a sound processor as well. let me know the product list so i can go over it and possibly make suggestions. if you need anything as well.

ALSO highly recommend you fly me out to tune. never been to finland and wife wants to go. if you dont fly me out she is going to be grumpy at me and i may lose the ability to provide free tech support to the frf members because she has kicked my ass.

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont need to upgrade the wires in the doors if you dont want to. you will not hear a difference. luckily ford still uses pur copper for wires so new speaker wire that may be thicker is probably cca and wont do much good. however it is all dependent on how much power you want to send to your new speakers. the zen module is what you need for the truck, so go ahead and go for it. i would highly recommend a sound processor as well. let me know the product list so i can go over it and possibly make suggestions. if you need anything as well.

ALSO highly recommend you fly me out to tune. never been to finland and wife wants to go. if you dont fly me out she is going to be grumpy at me and i may lose the ability to provide free tech support to the frf members because she has kicked my ass.
:-D Thanks! I will put together what I wish to do and list the parts that I have been thinking using. You can then point me to the right direction if I'm doing something wrong. More than

Before coming to Finland, you may want to decide what you want. If you want winter wonderland you should to the north around March maybe February otherwise it will very cold. Or if you want to see the midnight sunlight you should come around July (temperatures can be near warm) basically anywhere. Other than that I really don't suggest you come. This winter in the south, where I'm at, it has been endless rain at least 3 months now. Well it feels like it. So keeping your wife happy and you on board with FRF I suggest you choose your dates well :) I'm more than happy help in way to plan your travel and also tune my truck... haha

Do I recall you provided a sub box and subs for my Gen 1 build back in 2015/16 or so? Where are you located btw?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i remember i sent you something. didnt think you were in finland at the time? unless im going senile. i live in colorado now.. just north of denver. still fly out to ca to work at the shop often.

we can come anytime just send us the plane tickets. we are ok with the guest bedroom and whatever is in your fridge, cause well going to finland isnt cheap and we need a freebie. :rotflmao:

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i remember i sent you something. didnt think you were in finland at the time? unless im going senile. i live in colorado now.. just north of denver. still fly out to ca to work at the shop often.

we can come anytime just send us the plane tickets. we are ok with the guest bedroom and whatever is in your fridge, cause well going to finland isnt cheap and we need a freebie. :rotflmao:
Consider it done ;-)

I lived in Ft. Collins for year. I travel to CO every now and then as I have friends living there, plus skiing it much fun there. One of the best states if you ask me.

Additionally I have two other trucks being built. They are older, but do you think if you can help me with audio setup with those. Other one is 1993 Chevy Z71 Sportside and the other is 1999 Chevy K1500 Tahoe 2D. Would need at least sub boxes and parts list for sure.

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, my Gen 1 wis being built in New Jersey at the time and that is where the sub box was shipped. It fit like a glove!

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider it done ;-)

I lived in Ft. Collins for year. I travel to CO every now and then as I have friends living there, plus skiing it much fun there. One of the best states if you ask me.

Additionally I have two other trucks being built. They are older, but do you think if you can help me with audio setup with those. Other one is 1993 Chevy Z71 Sportside and the other is 1999 Chevy K1500 Tahoe 2D. Would need at least sub boxes and parts list for sure.
of course. anytime you need help im always here. feel free to send me a pm with all the info and ideas you have for them
Yes, my Gen 1 wis being built in New Jersey at the time and that is where the sub box was shipped. It fit like a glove!
ah thats right. i remember now. glad it fit right and you still like me after all these years:gr_grin: