JL Audio Subs - 10TW3 vs 12TW3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bpetty13

Reaction score
I'm doing a custom build/install with MTI here in a couple weeks and my build includes the following components:

2 JL Audio 12TW3 Subs
JL Audio RD 1000/1 Amp
Focal ICU165 Integration Universal speakers
Focal ISU200 Integration Universal speakers
JL Audio RD 400/4 Amp
NAV TV Zen Audio DSP12A
Remote bass knob
Stinger wiring
Soundshields Sound deadening for all 4 doors
MTI Custom Sub box (under the seat)

Anyone else running a similar setup that can provide some feedback on their experience?

I'm having a hard time deciding between the JL Audio 10TW3 vs 12TW3 subs. I was initially set on going with the 10s but I was told that the 12s are a better value considering it's only about $100 price difference between the pair. That makes sense to me, but at the same time I want to make sure that they aren't too much. It's been a long time since I was in high school or even college and I don't want to be mistaken for someone who is! I'm really just hoping to achieve a good quality sound upgrade with nice clean bass. I want to prevent that distorted bass sound that overpowers the speakers and music. I want all of the components to compliment each other. So what do you think - will the 12s be too much or would I be better off with the 10s?

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience with these subs or any of these other components.

Thanks!

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 10's. They are really good for what they are (slim subs). The 12's are a tad bit more boomy but honestly nothing house wrecking. I have always had good experiences with JL subs (had 2 12 JL W6V2's in another car) and they never a farty kind of bass. Very musical subs. I think what you are shooting for 10's are more than enough and the 12's don't out put enough over the 10's to justify them IMO. Now if it was the 13.5's that might be a different story. Either way though you can't go wrong with the 10 or the 12's.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i prefer a different subwoofer over jl when i have the option. but to answer your question, 2 10" woofers will be just fine. keep the 1000/1 as the amp. the dynamic head room is nice to have.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference in price should only be around $50-60 between the two sizes. I'd go with 12s. They just sound better but that is my opinion and everyone likes music differently.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with 2x10w1 (4ohM) for a 2 ohm load to the amp. I primarily went this route for 2 reasons. Way back in the day...like 1990, we were a JL Audio dealer, and the 10w1 (now 10w1v3) subs were a great ballence between enclosure size and power needs. 2 - 10's under the rear seat are easily able to fit into a 1.5 cubic ft box, which is spot on for what the 10w3's are calling for (.625 each).

The also paired up very well with the JL RD 900/5 amp. 70x4 and 5x1 @ 2ohms fit what I needed perfectly.

The TW3's require way too much power for just a normal install. Unless you want to shake the the neighborhood you live in.....500watts per speaker is way overkill.

I may decide to redo my enclose and try and squeeze 2 - 12w1's back there.......but my system sounds so good now, i dont think i want to mess with it. Enclosure size should dictate 10 vs 12...not price.......go with the woofer you have the correct size for.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the subwoofer you prefer over the JL? Is it a shallow mount sub as well?
we use audiomobile subwoofers. they are about 3/4 in taller than the tw3 but the tw3 excursion is what uses more space. the frame is recessed lower which means you need more room in front of the speaker. speaker size doesnt affect the sound quality as much as output. a bigger speaker will mean more air movement, but its not always better. i run a bess test from 80hz to 0hz on all my builds to verify sound output and distortion. the tw from jl drops out at about 37hz. i use the audiomobile subwoofers in my truck and in all of our higher end builds just because they dont drop out like the jl woofers.

JoeTSI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we use audiomobile subwoofers. they are about 3/4 in taller than the tw3 but the tw3 excursion is what uses more space. the frame is recessed lower which means you need more room in front of the speaker. speaker size doesnt affect the sound quality as much as output. a bigger speaker will mean more air movement, but its not always better. i run a bess test from 80hz to 0hz on all my builds to verify sound output and distortion. the tw from jl drops out at about 37hz. i use the audiomobile subwoofers in my truck and in all of our higher end builds just because they dont drop out like the jl woofers.
Wish you were closer to Huntsville/Nashville. Definitely need to update the "B&O" in the truck.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people like JL Audio for many reasons. I feel they are a great company with awesome products that will last longer than your truck. There is a reason why they are so popular. Everyone has different opinions on the subject so it really comes down to how much of a chance you are willing to take. I don't like taking chances when spending a good amount of money. I love the resale value JLs have as well. I can absolutely tell you reselling a JL setup will be much easier and retain more value than reselling something not as popular or unheard of.