jl 10tw3 behind back seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmm

Reaction score
Anybody have a jl 10tw3 behind the back passenger seat? Can you put the seat up and still play it in the proper airspace .5ft? The MTI website says their box needs the seat down but by my measurements it looks possible to make the box so you can still fold it up.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget that the seat articulates as it folds up. The seat back portion goes more vertical as you fold the seat bottom. My Skar sub fit fine, until you tried to fold up the seat. The seat bottom would bottom out about 6" shy of being able to lock in the up position. I ended up having to put the LMI kit in to make room, so I could fold the seat up. The LMI is a good kit and the owner is a good guy who is very helpful if you have an issue.

Installed LMI Seat Relo 2" Straight Ahead | Ford Raptor Forums

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yup, MTI is right. I fought that box mightily to get it in place and if you put the seat up you’re definitely getting speaker to seat back contact. An older FRF type clued me in that you can unlock the passenger rear seat and fold the seat up, giving more space. I’ve not yet validated or invalidated that.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a jl 10tw3 behind the back passenger seat? Can you put the seat up and still play it in the proper airspace .5ft? The MTI website says their box needs the seat down but by my measurements it looks possible to make the box so you can still fold it up.

I had car yoys build a custome case supporting 2 10TW3's. Full seat articulation and has been fantastic. I retained full use of the floor and have awesome base. My box is not ported so I get accurate bass reproduction....porting will give you a different kind of bass and only you know which is best..try listening to a ported and non ported box. It cost me 500.00 to have the box built and installed but I did it as part of an overall stereo upgrade.

rear speakers.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mmm

Reaction score
I had car yoys build a custome case supporting 2 10TW3's. Full seat articulation and has been fantastic. I retained full use of the floor and have awesome base. My box is not ported so I get accurate bass reproduction....porting will give you a different kind of bass and only you know which is best..try listening to a ported and non ported box. It cost me 500.00 to have the box built and installed but I did it as part of an overall stereo upgrade.

View attachment 166418

That right there is the exact response i was looking for! Any way you could send me the dimensions of the box on the passenger side? Hows that sound?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 166418

What did you do with your jack?

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That right there is the exact response i was looking for! Any way you could send me the dimensions of the box on the passenger side? Hows that sound?

I don't have the box dimensions but at the time it was built the measurements were very slightly larger than JL recommends for a dual 10" setup. As I said, They custom built it to fit behind the seat and had to make a couple design changes along the way to allow the seat to fully fold up. getting measurements is difficult now because it's integrated with the rear material and I'd have to pull it away to measure the box. If you take it to a reputable stereo shop I'm sure they can do it for you. If not...I used Car Toys in Portland Oregon, 503-788-5777 ask for Scott and he should be able to talk your installer through it. Sound quality is very subjective based on personal preference and hearing senstivity...to my ears it sounds fantastic and it's the right balance between perfect=thousands more and really really good = 7k. I used Focal, Zen and JL audio throughout the build.