JDM vs Whipple vs Cobb vs Goosetuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caleb

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2020 that has a few goodies installed, including an SVC intercooler. Now, I’m looking to add a tune and I’m considering the listed ones. I’m leaning toward JDM or Whipple because you also get the trans tuning. The trans feel was a huge reason as to why I sold my ‘18 Raptor.

With that, most of these have very little info on their sites so I’m trying to figure out what are the pros and cons to each? Are most feature comparable just the tunes are different (such as, Cobb specially lists out the ability to disable the auto-stop…can you do that with the others)? Most of these that have packages usually include the intercooler, tuner and CAI. Will I benefit by adding a CAI? I’m in S. Utah so desert and dunes are all around me.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The intake will give you more turbo sound but doesn’t make much of a difference power wise, the intercooler and tune are where the power comes from.

Cobb and Goose both have tcm tunes as well. More specifically, Goose is Cobb in the sense that he’s a pro tuner tuning through the Cobb AP. The Cobb AP is by far the best user interface/tuner IMO. Goose’s custom tunes are definitely better than Cobb’s off the shelf tunes.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I'm still stock, I'll be going Goosetune when the time comes (probably within the next month - I have an intercooler, just need to find time to install it).

He seems to be able to pick up the most power compared to the rest, his tunes are smoother then the rest, and he basically does a custom revision for each truck I'm to understand. Not every truck is the same, and not everyone lives in the same climate. And from what I can tell, his customer service is second to none. It's mentioned in almost every review I read.

Highly suggest looking at this thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cobb-accessport-tuned-by-goosetuned.65572/page-165

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% Goosetune! He will dial in your exact truck, He offers his version of a trans tune or stick with COBB's tune which is ok too! Customer service is Superb--

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is stage 2 Cobb Tuned with a goose tune including a tow tune. This is my only experience with a tune so I have no opinion of the others. The stage 2 was around 2500$ and the goose tune was another 800$. Truck is very smooth very reactive and much quicker without too much of a mpg hit. You can adjust tire sizes and throttle response and switch tunes on the fly and put it in different modes 2 thumbs up for me

OP
OP
C

caleb

Reaction score
Mine is stage 2 Cobb Tuned with a goose tune including a tow tune. This is my only experience with a tune so I have no opinion of the others. The stage 2 was around 2500$ and the goose tune was another 800$. Truck is very smooth very reactive and much quicker without too much of a mpg hit. You can adjust tire sizes and throttle response and switch tunes on the fly and put it in different modes 2 thumbs up for me
So what's the difference in Stage 2 vs. 1? I keep seeing Stage 2 is with an intercooler. Is that the only difference or is the actual tune different as well. i.e. If I went with a Goosetuned, since I already have the SVC intercooler, is there any benefit of stage 2 over stage 1 being they are both the same price?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'd be insane to go whipple. I know nothing about JDM but they are not super popular with raptors so that should tell you something. Goose is the way to go IMO, plus, you get all the canned cobb tunes when you go goose anyway...

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the tune is different for stage 2 given the variables added with the larger intercooler. im also not sure if the svc would work with the Cobb stage 2. This being because they are finely tuned to work as a system together. A good question to ask Cobb because I am far from an expert. But from my time on the forum Cobb and goose are the kings of raptor tuning hands down. Good luck

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest benefit of going Goose is the tune is built for you. Different IC's, fuel variabilities across the country, and differences between trucks are just some of the reasons why a custom tune is preferable over a canned tune. I've done Stage 2 on 91 and 93 and just finished E50 with Winfield. Just from a safety and longevity perspective I would recommend going the pro-tuner route vs a canned tune.

Stage 2 allows the tuner to take advantage of the better charge air temps coming out of the upgraded IC which will allow the tuner to get more power before having to pull timing due to overheating.