JDM Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Does the tune affect Off Road Mode? Well, yes and no. When I switched in to T/H or ORM throttle response was markedly less touchy and seemed just about stock except the shifts were a little bit firmer. It didn't change the shift points but I definitely felt more transmission pressure on the shifts. At first I wasn't sure about it but since I have been back to stock now I can say that with some certainty.
I was very surprised/pleased with the seat of the pants improvement. Aside from the fact that breathing on the gas pedal would make your neck snap it was so touchy, the power was much sharper and kicked in hard, fast and long. It's like max horsepower was on tap from 3500-5500rpm as opposed to 4500-5500 stock. It was a much sharper feel too...rather than the power building, it just kicked in, revved high and shifted hard with authority-pushing forward with each shift almost like a shift kit. I do believe that the top end power and hard 1-2 shift improved my 0-60 time(watch the vid and time it yourself)
Gas mileage improved while cruising nice and easy but the minute you romp on it or goose it at all, forget it the thing guzzles bad. I actually went a few days at one point where I did a lot of stop/go/short trips and I was showing 8.X mpg on my dash readout. Using Super...that kinda hurt. Otherwise if you drive smoothly you can hope to get at least stock mileage.

watch my 0-60 video with the tune installed

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=VID00014-20100520-22442.flv

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the tune affect Off Road Mode? Well, yes and no. When I switched in to T/H or ORM throttle response was markedly less touchy and seemed just about stock except the shifts were a little bit firmer. It didn't change the shift points but I definitely felt more transmission pressure on the shifts. At first I wasn't sure about it but since I have been back to stock now I can say that with some certainty.
I was very surprised/pleased with the seat of the pants improvement. Aside from the fact that breathing on the gas pedal would make your neck snap it was so touchy, the power was much sharper and kicked in hard, fast and long. It's like max horsepower was on tap from 3500-5500rpm as opposed to 4500-5500 stock. It was a much sharper feel too...rather than the power building, it just kicked in, revved high and shifted hard with authority-pushing forward with each shift almost like a shift kit. I do believe that the top end power and hard 1-2 shift improved my 0-60 time(watch the vid and time it yourself)
Gas mileage improved while cruising nice and easy but the minute you romp on it or goose it at all, forget it the thing guzzles bad. I actually went a few days at one point where I did a lot of stop/go/short trips and I was showing 8.X mpg on my dash readout. Using Super...that kinda hurt. Otherwise if you drive smoothly you can hope to get at least stock mileage.

watch my 0-60 video with the tune installed

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=VID00014-20100520-22442.flv

Thanks BIRDMAN, would you be willing to go into some detail as to what the problem was with uploading your tune and what was "resolved"?

FSM

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Now the not so good:

I noticed after a couple weeks driving that either I was getting used to the tune, or that the truck was adapting to settle down the tune a bit and causing some quirky shifting while the A/C was running. It got worse and worse until it was flat out annoying and seemed like it was not good for the truck(like a cu-clunk search and slam in to gear). I contacted JDM and decided to return to stock until they adjusted it and emailed me a new tune. While returning to stock the transmission file stopped downloading at 61%

Took it to Ford, they said the TCM was "fried" and needed to be replaced. The part was 5 days out and I was pissed. Meanwhile I contacted JDM to contacted SCT, who said they could fix it. It was error 1016 "Stock tune failed to upload". Still have no idea why it happened. All I do know is that SCT remotely connected to my computer, "recovered" the stock file...I went down to my truck, loaded that file and then Ford was able to then communicate with my TCM and flash it with the stock tune file.

After a few adjustments made by the tech and everything checked out my truck actually now drives better than it did before the tune. JDM is issuing me a refund, no customer service issues and if you search this 1016 error you will see there isn't much about it so it must not happen often. Like I said, SCT has yet to determine WHY it happened...will keep you posted but they will undoubtedly try blaming me or my truck.

OP
OP
bstoner59

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info BIRDMAN...is it worth the money??? Would you do it again??

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
maybe FSM you can shed some light on what was done on Ford's end. I asked the tech "Wow how did you make it shift so smooth?" His response was "The computer knows how to learn, I tell it what to learn" I said ok, whatever it's friggen smooth now though and not much gear hunting. Almost feels like a CVT transmission if it weren't for my loud exhaust and me hearing it shift, I wouldn't be able to tell...can't feel it though my right leg.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info BIRDMAN...is it worth the money??? Would you do it again??

Would I do it again, no. Do I miss it, yes(and no). I LOVED driving the truck with the tune. It was a beast. I was so hesitant to get the tune to begin with I just couldn't justify ****ing with a brand new 50k truck. I did my research and found that most issues with tunes were so 1999 and I decided to pull the trigger. So, as much as I was hesitant before now I am just gun shy and would feel pretty foolish if I pressed my luck and something else happened down the line. I am just going to leave well enough alone.

However I had the muffler and CAI installed even before my first oil change and never saw over 12mpg. After an oil change to Mobil1 synthetic, removing the tune and I pulled the CAI, I am getting almost 15mpg on my first tank with the muffler only and fresh syn on 87. The truck feels sluggish to drive now but I don't find myself staring at my MPG readout as much lol, for now it feels great to save some gas money. Ask me again next week though. I think I see a 2011 6.2 in my future....

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU BIRDMAN!! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the gang here at SVTOffroad. Hope to see you here more often.

FSM

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
THANK YOU BIRDMAN!! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the gang here at SVTOffroad. Hope to see you here more often.

FSM

maybe cut down on the post ******* over there and spread some love to guys that aren't ****ing vaginas? not a bad idea.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
maybe cut down on the post ******* over there and spread some love to guys that aren't ****ing vaginas? not a bad idea.

I think you're getting ready to eclipse me on the posting over there.....I would've had more but being banned kind of hampered that, lol.

I saw a dynograph of the Superchips tune a good while back and it showed most of the pick-up being in the mid-range.....wonder if the SCT was the same. Having that mid-range hit along with better response and louder intake /exhaust can do wonders ya know? Glad to hear it's running even better now though. The tech probably just did the ol' re-learn on the trans., that's what they do when everybody was saying there's an update, when infact it's not.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
yeah if it's possible to visualize a dyno graph while driving that's what it felt like was a slow incline followed by a sharp incline and and a level off from mid range to top RPM lol. 5hp MAX hp increase, 35 HP increase MAX at midrange. sneaky