GEN 2 JDM Engineering NEW Tune on the market!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is more my style ;) But seriously I would hate to have to sift through the process of troubleshooting 11 modules on these trucks if something went wrong.

Screenshot_20190702-210250_Samsung Internet.jpg

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
And how is this motion sensor triggered? Sure we have this with the 802A? Thought we do and I've tried several times to check it.. Like I said before, I sat in truck, waited few minutes.. also windows down and came back to truck and poked way into the truck as if I was grabbing something out of the cup holder, and nothing. :emotions122:

Mine works as mentioned, the two rear facing circles up by the sunglass holder detects motion when someone sticks their hands inside to grab something and that does set off the alarm.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I think I need to chime in here. I too have ordered this fancy tune..

Annnnnddddd... I have had the tune installed for only 4 days now.

First, need to say that Nick here is the best. will answer all your questions, even the nerdy ones.. ( i get geeky and like to know details of what was actually changed. and every question I've had, Nick and team always have a great reason behind the changes/answers. )

For the tune itself:
Mine is still in a learning phase as I've only done local street driving this week, but.... so far... I have to say, it is well worth it. They do take a few days to get your tune done, but that's because, like Nick has already said, they do it case by case to make sure it works right for each truck. There are so many things going on at once in these machines, that literally one bit of code off can cause, well, you get the idea.

The boost comes so fast you almost think it's NA ! Really, it is that quick of a response now. Especially when you go to pass someone or get out of the way. Man, that power is just waiting for you with just a nudge on the pedal. If anyone is wondering if they would want a pedal commander... nope. it just confuse things.

For transmission, I did have to get used it not skipping few gears putzing around, but after only little bit, I realized how much more efficient it is and how it's better when you command any power. They really put some thought/time into this.

I have not been able to get to the dirt yet :banghead:, but I can already imagine how much more fun it will be.
However, for giggles, on the street--I had 2wd, baja, just traction off, and wow..

Talk about instant power, and fact it keeps it spooled up and waiting for you to just get on it again, speechless, well not speechless, few choice words of excitement do come out LOL :33:

Ok, so to toot my own and quote myself.. LOL

Update: --spoiler--punchline is a one liner:D
Two buddies in my truck today, one who owns an 18 with no performance mods whatsoever-- went down side street today--stopped on somewhat of an uphill.. power braked for literally only 1/2 second, which made it burnout for quick 1 second and blasted off to 60+ in well, dunno cause it was too quick and we were giggling like school girls... buddy with the 18 turns to me and asks;

Friend: You're in sport mode, right?
Me: .......... nope
( then i clicked into sport.... :p :33: )

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t normally ask this as generally I would end up with a biased opinion, however after reading all the posts I really enjoy the transparent and very informative and educational posts/replies I feel more comfortable asking, so here is goes.....

What about the JDM product should make someone like myself who, although dying to mod, is still stock choose a JDM tune over say a COBB custom tune? Not sure that it matters for the response but I only have 91 octane available to me and have a 2018 that I have had for a year now, currently has 20,000kms or 12,000 miles with zero issues thus far.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t normally ask this as generally I would end up with a biased opinion, however after reading all the posts I really enjoy the transparent and very informative and educational posts/replies I feel more comfortable asking, so here is goes.....

What about the JDM product should make someone like myself who, although dying to mod, is still stock choose a JDM tune over say a COBB custom tune? Not sure that it matters for the response but I only have 91 octane available to me and have a 2018 that I have had for a year now, currently has 20,000kms or 12,000 miles with zero issues thus far.

I have personally run the 5 star and the JDM. 5 star shifts hard and makes good power (93 race tune), but the JDM I feel pulls harder and the shifts are smoother as well as better gear choices.

You mention Cobb specifically, and while Cobb does produce a great product ( I was a subaru guy for a decade), their lack of a trans tune is a huge factor. With any transmission, especially the 10 speed, torque converter lockup, shift firmness, and gear selection are very important.

Example: stock trans puts you in 10th at like 50 mph. JDM is in 8th at 50 mph.

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have personally run the 5 star and the JDM. 5 star shifts hard and makes good power (93 race tune), but the JDM I feel pulls harder and the shifts are smoother as well as better gear choices.

You mention Cobb specifically, and while Cobb does produce a great product ( I was a subaru guy for a decade), their lack of a trans tune is a huge factor. With any transmission, especially the 10 speed, torque converter lockup, shift firmness, and gear selection are very important.

Example: stock trans puts you in 10th at like 50 mph. JDM is in 8th at 50 mph.

Appreciate the info!

I was a GT-R guy for the last 6 years and had Cobb and Ecutek for it and loved both. I guess for that reason I feel comfortable with Cobb but knowing they don’t have the transmission software yet is causing other options to peak my interest as well.

Do you find the feeling of the truck being in the right gear now makes you think it’s making more power compared to other tunes or that it just compliments the additional power?

Decisions like these drive me nuts and is what after a year I still have not made a move.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The best way to summarize our tune is it is not just for power gain, but to change the entire driving experience. It no longer feels like the engine and transmission are fighting themselves for where to be in the RPM band and gear.

Often the stock raptors will hunt for a higher gear as fast as possible, bog, then follow with power.

We tend to hold the truck a tad higher in the RPM range but shift down a bit earlier as well so there is never a situation where you should expect a gear to hunt. The higher RPM tends to also aid in spooling the turbos as power is demanded. We also try as much as possible to keep the shifing in numerical order as well as keep the torque converter locked more often as this simplifies the operation of the 10r80. Each shift kept in numeric order keeps the transmission performing the least amount clutch work leading to faster shifts, lower temps, and smoother overall operation.

Without being able to touch the transmission in the tune, a ton of control of the behavior truck at any other time than wide open throttle is lost.

We want to alter the truck from the second you turn it on, to when you park it and hop out.