Jake The Snake in MOAB??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
I just found out from my VET today.
She is offering a Rattlesnake Shot for the hounds.
She said it’s basically the first dose of the Anti-Venom
They are getting it next month
True story:

My cousin was doing some gardening and was bitten in the hand by a Copperhead. She stabbed it with her spade to get it off and had her husband drive her to the hospital. They lived in the country about 30 minutes from the nearest hospital. When they got there she was super swollen and when they explained what happened THEY DIDN'T BELIEVE HER! They made her husband go home and get the snake to prove it. Apparently, they didn't have any antivenom and it was super expensive at the time. It had to be flown in from KU Med Center from Kansas City. She did get treated and everything was ok eventually.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
I just found out from my VET today.
She is offering a Rattlesnake Shot for the hounds.
She said it’s basically the first dose of the Anti-Venom
They are getting it next month
Is this real???!!! Very interesting, we don’t have too many issues with poisonous snakes in southern Ohio. Copper heads and timber rattlesnakes are fairly aloof down here, kinda just mind their business unless you step on them. We do have a good bit of “mice keep away-ers” but no big deal there.

Have always wondered what you do for dogs though. Awesome

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True story:

My cousin was doing some gardening and was bitten in the hand by a Copperhead. She stabbed it with her spade to get it off and had her husband drive her to the hospital. They lived in the country about 30 minutes from the nearest hospital. When they got there she was super swollen and when they explained what happened THEY DIDN'T BELIEVE HER! They made her husband go home and get the snake to prove it. Apparently, they didn't have any antivenom and it was super expensive at the time. It had to be flown in from KU Med Center from Kansas City. She did get treated and everything was ok eventually.
It is still super expensive and a LOT of places don’t carry it unless you’re near a zoo. Interesting fact is 25% are dry bites and depending on the situation antivenom is not always given

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is still super expensive and a LOT of places don’t carry it unless you’re near a zoo. Interesting fact is 25% are dry bites and depending on the situation antivenom is not always given
What do you look for in the bite to know if it was a dry bite or not, what's the decision process of administering antivenom?

Admittedly, most dry/wet bites I'm used to I could just ask her if she was venomous, and the answer is always yes!

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s more of an overall picture. If there is significant swelling/bleeding/bruising/significant neuro sx then there was venom. Even then it becomes an amount of venom question, like is the edema now crossing a major joint line and worsening. 2 puncture wounds and none of the above is dry.