Jailbreaking DVD/Navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, pretty sure you'll find my cold dead corpse somewhere before you see me messing with this level of wiring on my Raptor with 40 miles on it. :Grenade:

Not saying it couldn't work though.

:happy3:

Yeah, its always very easy doing the mechanical changes, welding, replacing, removing but when it comes to electronics its a big NOOOOO to most.

One of the first mods i will do to the Raptor is the brake light modulator, i built one for my Yamaha Raider 3 years ago, will build one for the Raptor as well, its a small circuit which flashes the brakes (when you hit on the brake) few times before it goes steady on. Its available for bikes on the market for probably $40, but cost me $5 to do. I think they call it Brake light Flasher, there are many settings or combination, mine just does 3 alternating quick flashes in about a second or so then goes on steady until you release the brake. Very useful for bikes. I get the attention of drowsy drivers behind me at night!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:happy3:

Yeah, its always very easy doing the mechanical changes, welding, replacing, removing but when it comes to electronics its a big NOOOOO to most.

One of the first mods i will do to the Raptor is the brake light modulator, i built one for my Yamaha Raider 3 years ago, will build one for the Raptor as well, its a small circuit which flashes the brakes (when you hit on the brake) few times before it goes steady on. Its available for bikes on the market for probably $40, but cost me $5 to do. I think they call it Brake light Flasher, there are many settings or combination, mine just does 3 alternating quick flashes in about a second or so then goes on steady until you release the brake. Very useful for bikes. I get the attention of drowsy drivers behind me at night!

Yup, I have one on my motorcycle. The one I have is just called an brake light integrator because it lets you remove the blinkers and makes the two separate brake light bulbs blink like blinkers instead. It also makes the brake light flash when you brake.

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I have one on my motorcycle. The one I have is just called an brake light integrator because it lets you remove the blinkers and makes the two separate brake light bulbs blink like blinkers instead. It also makes the brake light flash when you brake.

The newer trucks on my Fire Dept. use these.

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called LockPick. Front camera on demand is a NO GO.

Supposedly, the front camera works with the "Ford cluster"? (That's what the guy called it). And LockPick doesn't interact with it. So, unless LockPick begins to make a system that interacts with that... then we're SOL with LockPick at least.

Man o man I wish someone knew how to change this...

But an after market front camera and a factory rear camera should both work with the LockPick? Anyone have recommendations for a front camera?

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But an after market front camera and a factory rear camera should both work with the LockPick? Anyone have recommendations for a front camera?

No. I think DubbsFaris knows more on your specific question. You should PM him or maybe he'll chime in here.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be happy to!

I ordered the lockpick, and got the camera sold with the kit on their website for the front camera. It works great in motion and I have it hooked up to the top of my license plate bracket. It also has pretty good IR for no lights vision for a few feet.

Now, my raptor didnt come with the rear camera, so I ordered one off of ebay, and installed it. Then I ran into a snag. For some reason, if you have the STOCK rear camera, you cannot add a 2nd camera to the lockpick system, so the front camera wont work if you have the stock rear emblem camera.

I had already bought and mounted my front camera, so I went out and bought a kenwood replacement camera for the rear emblem, because it was the smallest I could find. We had to dremel out the emblem for it to fit at a good angle, so it takes a bit of work. It works correctly now, except I still cannot view the rear camera unless I am in reverse, so we may have a wiring issue there. (my installer may have run the pwer wire to the factory power so it only gets feed when you are in reverse.) The other problem is, all of a sudden, I get a no rear camera detected message everytime I shift out of reverse, which isnt a big deal, but it never did this before.

I may need to upgrade my sync system. Its no big deal, and it is working almost perfectly for what I wanted. This was part of the reason I didnt wait for a 2012...I knew about the front camera lockout, and didnt want to install a second front camera anyway.

There wont be a fix for the factory front camera, I can tell you that for a fact. If Lockpick cant mess with the factory rear camera that operates with the nav module the lockpick interfaces after 2 years to work on it, they arent going to fix the front factory camera that is controlled by a module that has nothing to do with the nav system.

Plus it is a niche market for them- F-150s are just one line of models in their product line, and raptors are but a small fraction of those.

crzyrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question would be, is the front camera tied into the computer at all? I know on other trucks that I have owned, a programmer would allow me to turn things on and off like seat belt reminder or leave my fog lights on when I turn on my high beams. Has anyone looked into this or asked?

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the obvious answer is it wont work, since LOCKPICK and NAV-TV would make good money on being able to somehow override that function, have the experience in this particular area, and they have tried and not been able to do it. They have been able to override other functions like you mention, but that doesnt mean you cant try if you are bound and determined.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
NavTV offers multiple inputs so it would be easy to add more than one camera to their system.

Another way to do it is to put in a source selector. Its like a remote video switch, so you would mount a hard switch, say under the steering wheel that would flip from the front to the rear camera. Any audio shop should be able to do this for you.

Don't bother with the factory camera, not worth the hassle. Especially with the limited amount of use it lets you get away with.

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I called into the Lockpick people they told me the reason why you couldn't use the factory rear camera and an aftermarket fron camera together was because the factory camera gets it's power from the wiring harness seperate from the Nav system

Lockpick aftermarket cameras can toggle and shut off the opposing camera feed at will, by cutting power...but the factory camera cannot be done this way.

Thats why I'm buying one of these for my front camera

Crappy but cheap

Last edited: