Jacking setup for offroad/changing a tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My complains with having a full rack back there is that I still wanna be able to haul 4x8 sheets of stuff. Right now the swing cases and the farm jack can easily be removed to haul things, whereas a chase rack is a lot tougher to unload and remove. The rack I think is a great idea if you don't really use the bed for anything, but I plan to still use the bed for stuff.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My complains with having a full rack back there is that I still wanna be able to haul 4x8 sheets of stuff. Right now the swing cases and the farm jack can easily be removed to haul things, whereas a chase rack is a lot tougher to unload and remove. The rack I think is a great idea if you don't really use the bed for anything, but I plan to still use the bed for stuff.
A little harder to search for options that will fit your need. I will say that the rack I have is secured to the bed with 4 bolts. From factory the bolts are hard to get out but in your case I would put a antisieze for easier future removal. The rack itself isnt that heavy unless you have it fully loaded. I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell you one but I'm honestly in love with my rack. Another option is to get a full bed rack like commercial trucks and have work items strapped on top but that's a pain to load and unload from that height.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A little harder to search for options that will fit your need. I will say that the rack I have is secured to the bed with 4 bolts. From factory the bolts are hard to get out but in your case I would put a antisieze for easier future removal. The rack itself isnt that heavy unless you have it fully loaded. I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell you one but I'm honestly in love with my rack. Another option is to get a full bed rack like commercial trucks and have work items strapped on top but that's a pain to load and unload from that height.

I completely understand where you're coming from! I think a chase rack is probably best to mount a spare tire for my needs, I just didn't want one that was gonna be pretty permanent and hard to remove. I don't need 4x8 sheets of stuff often, but I still wanna be able to use the truck for it. I thought about on top of the topper as well, but that's extremely heavy to get up there. lol If I wasn't worried about blocking the camera I'd just hitch mount it, but then it's blocking the tailgate and topper too.

I have a feeling I'll just end up leaving the spare at home unless I'm traveling out of town. It's pretty hard to flatten out a 10 ply tire, and I could just carry a pump and plug kit to fix it if need be. If I go out of town or off roading somewhere I can just toss the spare in the bed and head out.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone here have farm/off road jack mounts on their truck? It seems like that's the only other option besides a floor jack with a skid plate. I figured if I got rock sliders I'd be able to jack up the side, and I could jack the rear up on the tow hooks/hitch, and I can jack the front on the pre-runner tube bumper with the off road jack. I also have a wheel lift strap and could block underneath if I can't access any of those points properly.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just gonna leave the spare at home unless I'm heading out on a trip. I need the bed space far more often than I need the spare when I'm in town. Over the last 10 years I think I've only had to repair half a dozen truck tires. They just don't get flats like cars do, especially something like a 37" mud terrain. If I put a rack in the bed with the spare then every time I need a 4x8 sheet of something I've gotta pull the rack and spare out to haul it.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as using the floor jack is concerned - I figured if I could I'd just use the off road jack to pick the truck up to kill two birds with one stone. The front can be picked up on the pre-runner bumper, the back can be picked up with the hitch/how tooks, and the wheels can be picked up with the wheel strap. I just wanted to get rock sliders for the side to jack the side up.

I might see if I can fit the 37 under the truck, but I highly doubt a 37" KM3 is gonna fit under there. I can't do a bolt in chase rack or holder in the bed without losing my ability to haul 4x8 sheets either. If I use a hitch mounted spare it'll block the camera. I feel like just leaving the spare at home and taking it with when going out of town or on a trip is a better idea. I just don't trust using the factory spare with 37's.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a dual ram bottle neck jack. I also made adaptors to fit in different locations on my truck. Compresses height of 10.5" - full open with adaptor 22 .5" height which will pick my truck up with BFG 37 KO2s. I couldn't afford to loose the space for a modified floor Jack (Best way to go). If I bust a rim or have a major front suspension failure, I also carry the stock jack (Stock location) so I can pick the vehicle up high enough to get the bottle neck jack under it for truck repairs. I'm not in a race so time is not a factor - fun is. I do not like the high lift / Farm jacks - not stable enough. If you want to spend lots of money - (I would but I am Cheap / poor since CV19) ARB has a great high lift / stable jack.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a dual ram bottle neck jack. I also made adaptors to fit in different locations on my truck. Compresses height of 10.5" - full open with adaptor 22 .5" height which will pick my truck up with BFG 37 KO2s. I couldn't afford to loose the space for a modified floor Jack (Best way to go). If I bust a rim or have a major front suspension failure, I also carry the stock jack (Stock location) so I can pick the vehicle up high enough to get the bottle neck jack under it for truck repairs. I'm not in a race so time is not a factor - fun is. I do not like the high lift / Farm jacks - not stable enough. If you want to spend lots of money - (I would but I am Cheap / poor since CV19) ARB has a great high lift / stable jack.

I purchased the off road block that fits the base of the Hi-lift jack so it should be a lot more stable at this point. I just don't like the stock jack at all, they sketch me out. Been working on cars for years and still don't trust them at all. Seen too many failures. I think a modified floor jack is probably the most stable option, but there's no good place to keep it in the bed that it wouldn't be in the way potentially.