Jacking setup for offroad/changing a tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, have a 13 Raptor on setting 3 in the front and 37's. Will be doing some sort of block or spring upgrade in the back as well. I don't truck the stock jack at all for lifting the truck, and wouldn't mind an alternative setup. Was thinking something maybe like an off-road jack, but was curious what you guys were using. Thanks!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
floor jack with a block of wood ( 6x6") for additional height. Lot of guys mount these in the box. Cordless impact as well.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pro Eagle 3 Ton Kratos here. Go big or go home.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using a c4 fabworks jack extender on a harbor freight jack. I am running 37s and it works great, but I don't think c4 makes them anymore. You could check to see if they have any they would be willing to sell you.

This picture isn't of mine but it is an example of what it looks like.

dsc_0898_zps7957b408_847330273bfeaaa5d4436a694942b891b860e9e8-jpg.1654108

It also looks like there are alternatives out there for a jack extender too...
https://www.google.com/search?q=floor+jack+extender&tbm=shop

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking a floor jack would work, but I also am trying to limit the amount of things on the floor of the bed that need to be removed from the vehicle to use the bed unless they are necessary. I also know that a floor jack won't be of much use if I'm stuck offroad with a flat, but I know if you've got a good surface they are trustworthy. The cordless impact is a great idea as well, figured maybe I'd just pick up a cheap one with a few sockets to leave in the truck. Does anyone here have a farm/off road jack and used it to pick up the truck? I figured if I bought some rock sliders then I could easily jack it up on those.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a floor jack would work, but I also am trying to limit the amount of things on the floor of the bed that need to be removed from the vehicle to use the bed unless they are necessary.

I use this skid on my HF floor jack. It slides around on dirt and does fine offroad. You can also buy a mounting plate to secure it to your bed or a chase rack (which is what I did).

https://dmzfab.com/product/jack-skid-plate-for-harbor-freight-2-ton-racing-jack/

Jack-Skid-Plate-For-HF1.png

jack-mount.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That skid plate for the jack is a cool idea as well! I'm looking for a spare tire carrier as well since a 37 won't fit in the stock spot.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That skid plate for the jack is a cool idea as well! I'm looking for a spare tire carrier as well since a 37 won't fit in the stock spot.

There are a couple threads in here that talk about getting a 37 under the bed. I think it involves a couple things:
- cutting some of the metal off the bumper mount to make room for the tire to be moved towards the rear more (provides clearance for the rear diff to have full travel up and back).
- cutting the exhaust.
- probably getting a new rear bumper.
- I think it also helps if you have a less aggressive AT tire for fitment under the bed.

You will find a lot of the folks who are doing extended runs will have two spares especially if banging on the truck and getting it airborne is on the agenda. That pretty much commits you to a chase rack of some sort. Forged offroad makes some nice ones...
https://forged-offroad.com/product/2010-2014-ford-raptor-bed-rack-system/?v=f24485ae434a

For me, I am planning on fitting a 37 under the truck eventually. But right now I keep a spare 37 in the bed on the chase rack and a 35 under the bed. That way I can still have backup, but when my backup needs backup, I can dial back the speed and not be so bold with my trail choices. Only thing to note about the approach of using a 35 as a spare is you would want to keep the pair of 37s on the rear and run in 2wd with the 35 on the front. So that could cause a bit of work if your rear tire gets a flat.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think at this point I'll just remove the factory spare tire tools and the factory spare tire mount. I don't plan on ever needing two spares since I won't be getting that crazy with the truck. I'd prefer to not have to hack up my exhaust or bumper mount or change the rear bumper just to fit a 37" spare under there that still may or may not fit. I've got BFG KM3's on there now, and I highly doubt even with a lot of modification it'll fit under there. I'd considered keeping the stock tire under there, but I figure if I've gotta go that far to remove front wheel, put it on the back, and put the 35" spare onto the front that's more work than I probably care to deal with for a flat tire, and it's not as if I'm out of the woods at that point still. At least not having two spares will keep some weight out of the back.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my current goal. https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/17-current-ford-raptor-sdhq-built-in-bed-chase-rack
Here it is currently:
The rack comes unpainted if shipped (can opt for powder coating but sender recommends raw to prevent shipping damage)
I ended up coating the whole thing in Line X. Only needs to be bolted to the bed (easier said than done)
I got this rack cause I needed something to mount my jack and power tank while holding a spare or 2. This one perked my interest because of all the mounting options you can do simply by drilling a few holes. Theres even enough room for 2 six-gallon containers for water or fuel if you have the appropriate cans.

20201101_144611.jpg