IWE Gen I issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had a place R n R the OG 6.2L for a new stroker 400 with a Whipple 2.9L Supercharger !! Started n tuned great.
However, apparent now the axels weren’t spinning in 2wd and heard grinder of some sort ! Was the cv joint spinning around axel. there’s a vacuum line to the wheels which with the wider alpha 1 axels and front end mod doesn’t have but is it still going to the transfer case ? Did the mechanic forget to attach it properly to cause this issue ? What do I search for ?

Attachments

• A706BE1A-9584-428B-9236-AE7721224244.jpeg
    A706BE1A-9584-428B-9236-AE7721224244.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 19

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The front axles shouldn’t spin in 2WD. That’s the purpose of the IWEs; to disengage the axles from the front hubs. The IWE system is separate from the transfer case.

If the vacuum line is left disconnected at one wheel, it will cause the affected axle to rotate at all times, which can damage the differential pinion gears. It sounds like you may just need to re-connect/extend the vacuum line to get the IWE to disengage.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The front axles shouldn’t spin in 2WD. That’s the purpose of the IWEs; to disengage the axles from the front hubs. The IWE system is separate from the transfer case.

If the vacuum line is left disconnected at one wheel, it will cause the affected axle to rotate at all times, which can damage the differential pinion gears. It sounds like you may just need to re-connect/extend the vacuum line to get the IWE to disengage.
You managed to understand his question, I couldn't understand his question, if he had iwe deletes added or not with his longer axles.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FordTech1 or anyone with knowledge please verify the axles should not spin in 2wd. My gen2 has a really bad noise come from the front, I think. Truck is parked at my shop until I can find out the problem. In 2wd, the front axles are freespining... thanks for your help . If spinning and noise, what do I fix or ck?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTech1 or anyone with knowledge please verify the axles should not spin in 2wd. My gen2 has a really bad noise come from the front, I think. Truck is parked at my shop until I can find out the problem. In 2wd, the front axles are freespining... thanks for your help . If spinning and noise, what do I fix or ck?
The front cv axles should not spin in 2h, that means the iwes are engaged. Easy to tell what is going on, jack the front of the truck up and turn the engine on, in park 2h, the front tires should spin without the axles spinning.

edit: that stupid check valve could be the problem on the gen 2, seems most with the issue have replaced that. The one by the brake booster.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FordTech1 please verify the axles should not spin in 2wd. My gen2 has a really bad noise come from the front, I think. Truck is parked at my shop until I can find out the problem. In 2wd, the front axles are freespining... thanks for your help . If spinning and noise, what do I fix or ck
The front cv axles should not spin in 2h, that means the iwes are engaged. Easy to tell what is going on, jack the front of the truck up and turn the engine on, in park 2h, the front tires should spin without the axles spinning.

edit: that stupid check valve could be the problem on the gen 2, seems most with the issue have replaced that. The one by the brake booster.
FIXED! ONE WAY VALVE THANK YOU

Attachments

• 16513544939174612062644554519420.jpg
    16513544939174612062644554519420.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 19

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTech1 please verify the axles should not spin in 2wd. My gen2 has a really bad noise come from the front, I think. Truck is parked at my shop until I can find out the problem. In 2wd, the front axles are freespining... thanks for your help . If spinning and noise, what do I fix or ck

FIXED! ONE WAY VALVE THANK YOU
Glad you got it fixed! The front driveshaft/axles will rotate in 2H due to drag from the transfer case clutch, but there is no load on them and they will not match wheel speed.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed! The front driveshaft/axles will rotate in 2H due to drag from the transfer case clutch, but there is no load on them and they will not match wheel speed.

Thanks to Ford Tech One and Corona Raptor! With all of the posts and information I bought a ck valve and easily fixed what sounded like a blown front end in 5 minutes! Really appreciate the help