It's always the simplest things....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I will tell you all an embarrassing story and to always remind you it's probably the simple thing you're overlooking when troubleshooting an issue.

I flew to Florida to check in on my house being built, I was also going to be working remote for a few months, no issues there. I got a warning message on the Fordpass app that my truck went into a "deep sleep mode" and to start it I would need to manually start the vehicle i.e. push the start button, I could no longer do this remotely.

So I called up my landlord, told him where the spare key was and he was able to start it for me, no my truck was out of deep sleep mode. (I thought it was going to be an issue leaving my truck sitting there for 2 months without a battery tender / or any startups).

Fast forward 2 months later, I fly back to California, get to my truck and needed to run a few errands. I attempt to start my vehicle, it does not turn over, absolutely no power available anywhere, I even had to get into the vehicle with the manual key/lock on the drivers side door (1st world problems).

I scour the forums, it seems like it's probably a dead battery, makes sense as I did start it a few times on the Fordpass app remotely (not driving so it didn't charge the battery obviously). I call Ford Roadside assistance and they dispatch a wrecker out to jump start it... The tech arrives, unable to jump start my truck but says the battery looks fine, it's putting out 12.7 volts but there's no attempt to turnover.

My thought process was to buy a new battery, maybe this one was dead? The Ford dealers service department was closed, so I took my landlords Prius (I know) to the closest Auto Zone, they tested the battery and stated it's completely dead, which made sense to me.

I buy an Optima Yellow Top battery, put it back into my Raptor, I then attempt to start it and nothing happened. Here's the lesson learned part... When the truck had power, it showed a warning messages "truck in drive" which would not allow me to start it... So this entire time the truck was in drive and I didn't notice it, it could have been jumped and the battery was probably fine.

Lesson learned, always check the simple stuff.. and FML... also, my landlord left my Raptor in drive for about a month, any issues with that? Thankfully no earthquakes to move the truck and the driveway is level.

TLDR: Always check what gear your shifter is in before attempting to start Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Typical Prius driver. Can't even figure out how to use a simple gearshift with a pattern that hasn't changed in 60 years. Lucky it didn't roll away and damage property, or worse, injure or kill someone.

Leaving the truck in Drive is what discharged your battery. When the engine is shut off, the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) looks for ground on the park detect circuit. Since the truck was never placed in Park, the IPC remained powered up the whole time waiting for that signal.

Tell your landlord to take the cost of the battery off of your rent.

OP
OP
Hdaniel85

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical Prius driver. Can't even figure out how to use a simple gearshift with a pattern that hasn't changed in 60 years. Lucky it didn't roll away and damage property, or worse, injure or kill someone.

Leaving the truck in Drive is what discharged your battery. When the engine is shut off, the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) looks for ground on the park detect circuit. Since the truck was never placed in Park, the IPC remained powered up the whole time waiting for that signal.

Tell your landlord to take the cost of the battery off of your rent.

Agreed, I was thinking how did this vehicle not move for a month when it was put in drive. Also you're right, it definitely could have hurt or killed someone rolling into the street, one benefit we do have is its at the end of a cul de sac so there's a slope downwards.

Also yeah, he's going to add that to the refunded security deposit.

The good news is I have a 3500 mile road trip starting Friday - SoCal --- Minnesota --- Florida

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, I was thinking how did this vehicle not move for a month when it was put in drive. Also you're right, it definitely could have hurt or killed someone rolling into the street, one benefit we do have is its at the end of a cul de sac so there's a slope downwards.

Also yeah, he's going to add that to the refunded security deposit.

The good news is I have a 3500 mile road trip starting Friday - SoCal --- Minnesota --- Florida
My mother-in-law lives in Minnesota, could you throw your fast food bags on her lawn for me?