GEN 2 It sounds like a gnome slapping a tape measure around under there.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbird18

Reaction score
This is a new one for me but it happened twice today, and on the same stretch of road, just going in the opposite directions.

Cruising along around 65-70mph, easy driving. Nothing unusual. Suddenly it sounds like I ran over a piece of sheetrock corner bead. You know, the stuff that gets put on corners, made of very thin galvanized metal? If you're not familiar with that sound, it sounds like what you hear when you have bout 15 feet of tape measure out and you let it all come back in without slowing it down. That's really the best way I know to describe it.

This sound came from what I best guess as the front driver's side wheel area. Both times it happened I got out of the truck and looked for anything that may have been jammed up under the truck. Nothing appeared to be abnormal. Skid plates sounded tight when I banged on them. Nothing feels loose on the front wheel assembly. Nothing I could see in the driveshaft.

I'm at a loss on this one. I've already got an appointment for a sunroof fix on the 26th and I want to be able to tell the service writer something without sounding like I'm off my meds. You know, like this post makes me sound.

Conditions when this happened...2018 Raptor. 802A. In 2wd. Normal mode. 34,200 miles. Approx 65 degrees F outside. 65-70 mph speed. Driver plus 3 occupants. Mostly full gas tank. Clear weather. No debris or obstructions on a very smooth road. 5 pumpkins in the back seat. Seriously, just a normal day.

I'll have to wait until morning to check for anything but I thought I would post in case someone has seen this before.

Thanks a bunch for any help you can offer.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Original tires? When mine got up to a certain amount of wear, don't recall what, at a certain speed on very smooth roads I would get a high pitched almost buzzing sound from front left dash area. It was very strange, pushing on all the door and dash parts made no difference. Only thing that fixed it was new tires. You might try rotating the tires anyway. I guess it was some kind of crazy resonance due to the tread depth.

OP
OP
blackbird18

blackbird18

Reaction score
The tires were rotated about 2000 miles back. They're practically new. Maybe have 3,000 miles on them. I had them rotated with the oil change/cam phaser service.

Couldn't find the gnome to take the tape from him. Hopefully he will be easier to locate during daylight hours.

I'll check the fender liners in the morning.

The sound was like I ran over thin pieces of metal but there was nothing in the road to hit. That's where the sheetrock corner bead thought came from. Same with the tape measure sound. It lasted maybe a second or so but was loud enough to certainly get my attention, and the attention of everyone else in the truck. I've never heard a sound like that come from a vehicle.

I'm not real sure what tags in underwear has to do with this. But, no tags. Hate them things.

venomblue22

Reaction score
I have a very similar sound on mine, if i have a cross wind coming from the right side of the truck I get a flutter that I would say sounds like what your explaining. Ive been chasing it since the truck was new, significantly worse in the winter

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be a piece of heat shield
Underneath someplace that’s coming loose & wind caught it @ the right angle causing it to flap around & hit a piece of the frame or body etc.

I noticed there are heat shields on this thing sandwiched between the frame & Body in some spots w/ very little clearance, guessing these spots would get wet & stay wet longer than other spots, adhesive starts coming loose & the heat shields are usually AL sheet w/ heavy adhesive backing which could def make that sound you’re describing if flapping around.....

just a guess

Also possible IWE system or bad wheel bearing but sound def seems different than that based on how you described