It’s just slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thomasfoxworthy

Reaction score
I had an 18 Tacoma for about 16 months. One of the slowest vehicles I’ve driven on pavement. Loved it off road but omg I hate the engine/transmission in that truck for highway driving. Really wish they would develop a turbo charged engine for option.

same experience here!

i had a trd off-road for a long weekend to get to know the truck when i was doing comparisons and researching what i wanted to buy. i wanted a trd pro and to build it into my overlanding travel rig, as i love the size of taco's and their reliability, and they look sweet. that engine is so unbelievably terrible, had zero confidence in passing people on two lane highways on a long drive, sealed the deal.

toyota doesn't seem to care as they cannot keep taco's and tundra's on their lots, and sell them for absurd adm's where i live. high performance off-road vehicles are the nichest of niche markets it seems...

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 21 Land Cruiser 5.7L with a Pedal Commander. I'd say the LC feels faster for the first 20 feet, then the Raptor absolutely crushes it. Anyone who thinks these things are "slow" are delusional. That said, if you want a "fast" truck, buy a 6.7L Super Duty and tune it. It'll rattle your fillings loose off road but it's "fast".

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really enjoy my gen 3 besides I can’t get the f’ing fender flares for it. But these trucks are SLOW. They are peppy on the bottom end but just die off at 60+. I did a 60 roll with a S/C gen 1 and today it walked away from me. I was in sport mode at 4k rpm when we hit it. I also barely walked away from some old tundra, he was being a ***** and I tried to haul *** away but I damn sure didn’t leave him in the dust.

The 3.5 has plenty of power it seems but it’s just not quick. It makes all kinds of fast noises when you hammer on it but the result doesn’t match the noise.

I do not expect it to be a race car by any means but for 80k it should out run most pickups on the road.

This thing needs tuning asap.
It should not come as a surprise to get walked by a supercharged Gen 1.
A well set up S/C Gen 1 makes significantly more power than you. Your 10 spd trans helps negate some of that for the first 100 feet but then HP/TQ starts to trump your 450hp. A tuned G2/3 can make a huge difference in how hard your truck can pull though.
Just for reference, here is my S/C G1 story... One time at a car meet there was a chassis dyno set up for all the mustang and Vette guys to have a pissing match. For a beer bet with a buddy we put my 14 Roush with JDM tune up on the rollers, everyone was picking some pretty low wheel HP numbers, but I was fairly confident it would be high 4's, low 5's. Even on 37's it laid down 507HP at the wheel approx 640 crank. So dont be bummed that the old girl can walk you once it starts stretching 2nd-3rd gear.

The tundra on the otherhand makes me think they were not stock or you just got a shit jump on him..

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy my gen 3 besides I can’t get the f’ing fender flares for it. But these trucks are SLOW. They are peppy on the bottom end but just die off at 60+. I did a 60 roll with a S/C gen 1 and today it walked away from me. I was in sport mode at 4k rpm when we hit it. I also barely walked away from some old tundra, he was being a ***** and I tried to haul *** away but I damn sure didn’t leave him in the dust.

The 3.5 has plenty of power it seems but it’s just not quick. It makes all kinds of fast noises when you hammer on it but the result doesn’t match the noise.

I do not expect it to be a race car by any means but for 80k it should out run most pickups on the road.

This thing needs tuning asap.

Well… You did buy a 7,000 lb truck with a V6. Sucker.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, I gotta say, though it hurts a bit, but my moniker should be @Oldfart.

I do my speeding on track in a 911. And I ain’t too good there either.

I’ve owned four Raptors, most recently my Gen3, and they have all been fast enough to get on a highway, to get away from a light, etc. it’s a 6k+pound truck. My f150 Platinum felt quicker. But it sure didn’t look as good.

OP says it should be a lot faster because it costs 80k. My 2021 Can Am X3 XRC Turob RR is pretty quick, but the damn thing cost 32k. And there is nothing to it. The new Polaris is over FORTY F’G grand. Cost is irrelevant but you sure do get a lot for the money in a Raptor. Been in a Jeep 392? Over 80 grand. Ridiculous.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, I gotta say, though it hurts a bit, but my moniker should be @Oldfart.

I do my speeding on track in a 911. And I ain’t too good there either.

I’ve owned four Raptors, most recently my Gen3, and they have all been fast enough to get on a highway, to get away from a light, etc. it’s a 6k+pound truck. My f150 Platinum felt quicker. But it sure didn’t look as good.

OP says it should be a lot faster because it costs 80k. My 2021 Can Am X3 XRC Turob RR is pretty quick, but the damn thing cost 32k. And there is nothing to it. The new Polaris is over FORTY F’G grand. Cost is irrelevant but you sure do get a lot for the money in a Raptor. Been in a Jeep 392? Over 80 grand. Ridiculous.
Agreed, it's all relative. After owning multiple high performance cars, it's incredible how quick my Gen 2 is for a 5700lb truck. Same with Gen 3. No sure where the performance concerns are coming from, although it's fair to admit that Sport Mode really makes a huge difference in performance IMO.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Agreed, it's all relative. After owning multiple high performance cars, it's incredible how quick my Gen 2 is for a 5700lb truck. Same with Gen 3. No sure where the performance concerns are coming from, although it's fair to admit that Sport Mode really makes a huge difference in performance IMO.

Does sport mode drop in a V8 with 1300 hp? If so I might need to order a Gen 3 then.

But yes, it's a truck and it's name to fame has never been the fastest truck on the planet. You can swap out some parts to make it faster but at the end of the day it is still a truck. I have gotten to the point in my life where I don't care if I am the fastest, just want to have fun doing what I do.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does sport mode drop in a V8 with 1300 hp? If so I might need to order a Gen 3 then.

But yes, it's a truck and it's name to fame has never been the fastest truck on the planet. You can swap out some parts to make it faster but at the end of the day it is still a truck. I have gotten to the point in my life where I don't care if I am the fastest, just want to have fun doing what I do.
The Gen 2 Raptor has always been the fastest F-150 despite the tire size and overall weight, which is quite impressive IMO. It was only dethroned by the '19-'20 Limited which had the same engine and of course much better aerodynamics, lower cub weight, and less rotating mass.

Chizler22

Reaction score
Most trucks today don’t have the balls to get out from their own shadow due to the following:
1. CA emissions requirements and mandated equipment
2. Under Sized/ derated engines to meet mileage mandates
3. Geared too high to meet mileage mandates
4. Not adequately tuned