It’s just slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean it moves exactly like you'd imagine a 6000lb truck with 450hp would move. Calling it "slow" is just disingenuous - a wrangler with the pentastar v6 is slow. A tacoma with a v6 is slow. Not a truck pulling around 35-37s in under 6 seconds to 60. The truck also doesn't fall off a cliff past 60. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you but it shouldn't have gotten walked by a gen 1 - that just doesn't add up. Also, an old tundra???

It's no rocket ship, I agree, but it's certainly quick for what it is. If you can find any other truck that's quicker besides the TRX or powerboost i'd love to hear it.
My JK is slow as **** and feels like it will fall apart going above 50

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
93 octane. No manual shift, I let the computer do the work.

I disagree on the lower RPM, the truck doesn’t pull from the bottom ever (except from a stand still obviously) It’s a high revving truck. What happens when you accelerate in your truck from a cruising speed ? It drops about 3-4 gears.

You said you were cruising at 4k when y'all "hit it". I figured you were in manual. Carry on.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13 Navigator cannot get out of its own way, My Gen 1 2014 screw feels like a rocket ship compared to it. But Gen1 Raptors are always first in my book.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I flashed my 18 back to stock to get the phaser recall done. I agree with the OP, truck is pretty lethargic on the stock tune.

I have a Cobb stage 2 OTS map and TCM tune usually. I find the truck to be pretty responsive compared to stock.

OP try tow/haul mode - truck flies thru the gears and hauls some pretty good tail.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
are you frickin kidding???
Naa not kidding at all most of the tuner interfaces ive seen that you can do in yr driveway dont really net much more than 75hp max. Plus they reset yr key cycles back to zero when u install the tune or u install the tune prior to service.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I meant that you think 75hp isn’t a big deal. The tune and that additional hp is a dramatic difference

Ta2punk

Reaction score
I mean it moves exactly like you'd imagine a 6000lb truck with 450hp would move. Calling it "slow" is just disingenuous - a wrangler with the pentastar v6 is slow. A tacoma with a v6 is slow. Not a truck pulling around 35-37s in under 6 seconds to 60. The truck also doesn't fall off a cliff past 60. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you but it shouldn't have gotten walked by a gen 1 - that just doesn't add up. Also, an old tundra???

It's no rocket ship, I agree, but it's certainly quick for what it is. If you can find any other truck that's quicker besides the TRX or powerboost i'd love to hear it.
I had an 18 Tacoma for about 16 months. One of the slowest vehicles I’ve driven on pavement. Loved it off road but omg I hate the engine/transmission in that truck for highway driving. Really wish they would develop a turbo charged engine for option.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The peak HP/TQ numbers are really only part of the story with a good tune. It’s the increase under the entire curve you get that’s going to move the truck and enhance it. Peak #’s are always best for a lighter vehicle, that’s geared up to run at the strip. Good numbers down low and from start to finish will do better on the street/off-road.