Issues with 2017s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker. Looking to purchase my first Raptor. Found some 2017s I like, but it seems like 2017s had a few issues and I'm noticing quite a few "manufacturer buybacks" out there. Can anyone on here provide a little more color on what I seem to be seeing? Should I be avoiding 2017s? Thanks in advance!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker. Looking to purchase my first Raptor. Found some 2017s I like, but it seems like 2017s had a few issues and I'm noticing quite a few "manufacturer buybacks" out there. Can anyone on here provide a little more color on what I seem to be seeing? Should I be avoiding 2017s? Thanks in advance!
Some people had great luck with their 2017s and others had a completely different experience. I personally wouldn't buy one if I couldn't get a complete service history on the truck to see what issues, if any, the original owner had. If the truck was taken back multiple times for warranty work, I would move on.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the Ford dealer and give them a VIN number and ask for a oasis report. They are free and the report will give you everything that was ever done at any ford dealer for that specific VIN number.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2017 and early 18 had plastic oil pans.... They leak. All 2017, 18, and now 19 have the same cam phasers design that rattles on start and will eventually go bad. Mine are failing... Just have to make sure it makes it to 20 when the 5.2sc will be available in the Raptor.

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you’re seeing it because anyone who has problems with their truck generally try to reach out here or other platforms for assistance. So when you browse the forums all you’re seeing is problems when in reality FRF and other forums are maybe 1% of all raptor owners out there.

Of course buying used anything is a shot on the dark to some extent, my used 2017, knock on wood, has had no problems besides a front end clunk which received new sway bar links under warranty. Unless you buy a new truck you really don’t know what you’re getting yourself into! Just my opinion :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

First off, check the post history of those you get answers from here. You’ve already gotten one answer from someone who doesn’t even own a Raptor.

Second, there used to be a long running thread along the lines of “post all your 2017 problems here”. It was in the early 2017 era, and had a lot of the initial issues found.

Out of all the registered users here, how many have actually had the cam phaser issue? The problem is you get the problem and it becomes your blinding obsession and you shout from the tallest yardarm about it. The confirmation bias is strong here.

Normally, I would run for the hills from a “buyback” truck, but the only thing that sticks out for me is that Ford uses an inventory virtualization. That is, the parts show as existing somewhere in inventory, but they aren’t actually there. They’re ordered from whatever supplier and as you can imagine, this creates a cr@p ton of delay if you need a major repair requiring hard parts. You could go 4-6 weeks just waiting on parts, and that easily busts the lemon law time limit. So you could be buying a truck that had one issue, took too long to fix and Ford bought it back... OR it could be something with sporadic electrical gremlins that will never be fixed... or somewhere in between.

We’ve got users on here who bought used ’17’s maybe they’ll chime in. I bought mine new.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 38k miles on my 17 with no issues that I did not induce myself. I DO have startup rattle but thus far it has not translated to an actual failure.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 38k miles on my 17 with no issues that I did not induce myself. I DO have startup rattle but thus far it has not translated to an actual failure.

You realize that the start up rattling you hear is the phasers breaking apart, right? Did you have the dealer diagnose yet? If not, you need to do right away. Ford does not have this virtual inventory bs mentioned above... I think he is just not coming to grips that Ford can't keep up with replacement parts now. Mine was documented, and just going to let it go. I just hope I am still running when I trade it for the 5.2sc.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You realize that the start up rattling you hear is the phasers breaking apart, right? Did you have the dealer diagnose yet? If not, you need to do right away. Ford does not have this virtual inventory bs mentioned above... I think he is just not coming to grips that Ford can't keep up with replacement parts now. Mine was documented, and just going to let it go. I just hope I am still running when I trade it for the 5.2sc.
I took it in and the dealer said they didn't hear anything abnormal. Said the light tapping was the waste gate.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

show pictures of your alleged Raptor and identify the autonation dealer and service advisor who told you to keep driving your alleged Raptor.