Issues if not fixing cam phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Yep, rattle, check engine light, low on power. Dealer says ok to drive while waiting on parts?

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rattles on a cold start but that hasn't bothered me, bogging down while trying to pull out into traffic with zero power is bothering me. The truck has done it several times in the past week - cam phasers?

OP
OP
V6Raptor

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates from those who haven’t gotten the cam phasers fixed? Still running strong? Limp mode? SOLD?!

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone held out to tail end of warranty before getting them replaced?

Could add alot of value having the updated phasers. Peace of mind at least.

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t get one of my local dealers to fix the cam phaser issue. Because it is only at startup and doesn’t continue. They had the balls to say that was normal. So I love with it for now and will find another dealer soon.

2018 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t get one of my local dealers to fix the cam phaser issue. Because it is only at startup and doesn’t continue. They had the balls to say that was normal. So I love with it for now and will find another dealer soon.

2018 model

Mine had the sound only at startup as well and only for a couple of seconds. My dealer said no problem and replaced the cam phasers and a bunch of other stuff on my 2017 recently.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

2018 model

which dealer in LA?

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which dealer in LA?
Hey,
I don’t like bashing the dealer ... but the ASSHATs at Vista Ford in Woodland Hills told me that last year. I have had the start up cam phase sound for about 1 1/2 years now.

I will be taking it to Galpin Ford when I have time. No rush. I have been there before and really like them.

I had the guys at Galpin Auto Sport do some work on my truck last year. They were great as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDD

Reaction score
55k on my 2018. Nearly every start there is a "light" rattle for 1-2 sec till oil pressure builds. This is apparently what two dealers call "normal". Despite the fact that I have had a new Expedition rental and it had no "normal" rattle. Occasionally, I'll get a full on 1980's diesel rattle so loud that its embarrassing for a couple seconds. It is very intermittent, and likely unreproducible at the dealer.

I have an appt with Bozard Ford in St. Augustine FL in a week based on other members here with good experience. Even if they don't "hear" it I'll likely keep beyond the powertrain warranty. There's no performance issue. Probably this is not a long term vehicle for me.

Here's the loud rattle,

Last edited: