Issues if not fixing cam phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in exact same situation. Truck runs perfect. Just a 1-2 second rattle on cold starts. I’m not touching it. It’s done it for 3 years.

Good to know. Guess I'll just make sure to document my concerns with my service writer and make sure he records his statement that it won't cause issues down the road so I'm covered.

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
I've got ~10,000 miles on my 2019 since it developed the rattle on a cold starts (started around 6,000 miles). So far, no noticable problem or changes in the way it drives.

OP
OP
V6Raptor

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it doesn't cause any harm to the engine, who the hell wants to pay 75k or 100k (canada) for a rattling tin can?

I feel your frustration and believe me, I’ve heard that a lot with Hellcat owners too. As much as I hate to, something I’ve come to accept is that no matter the cost, at the end of the day, it’s a mass produced vehicle so quality control tends to go out the door.

I bet even the new GT500, Ram TRX, Bronco, C8 Corvette, and even the engine that’s hand built car, Nissan GTR, have their own known issues.

OP
OP
V6Raptor

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in exact same situation. Truck runs perfect. Just a 1-2 second rattle on cold starts. I’m not touching it. It’s done it for 3 years.

Good to know. I asked the question because I noticed my ‘19 starting doing it at ~9k miles although it may have been earlier. Mine also rattles for less than a second and never noticed it from the inside, only when remote starting and hearing it from the outside.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of rattling noise are we talking about here. I think mine makes a relatively faint rattling pretty much until the idle RPM drops on cold starts. Do I have a cam phaser issue? Some have described a clunk, which I'm definitely not hearing. Also not something I can hear from inside the truck.

metalwhiz

Reaction score
Have a 2018 with build date of July 2018. Only have 13k on the truck and started rattling on start a couple months. Doesn't do it every time though. Maybe every 3 or 4 starts. One time was really loud and went on a little longer than usual. Didn't sound good. Some people say it's not a big deal, but it is to me. Seems pretty common too. Supposedly the problem was fixed after mid-year 2018, but evidently not. Not looking forward to my truck being torn apart.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 just started doing it at about 65k, a noticeably loud clatter for 1-2 seconds on starts after sitting a day or two. No performance issues noted. I happen to be not needing the truck for a couple of weeks so I have the dealer working on it right now.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of rattling noise are we talking about here. I think mine makes a relatively faint rattling pretty much until the idle RPM drops on cold starts. Do I have a cam phaser issue? Some have described a clunk, which I'm definitely not hearing. Also not something I can hear from inside the truck.
Lots of info on this, but basically stand in front of the truck and start it with your remote in the morning. If you hear a loud rattle for a few seconds while the oil pressure comes up, that's likely the phasers. The waste gates can rattle too, but it's not nearly as loud. Bad part is the locking pins in the phasers which is supposed to hold them in place on a cold start, but they break somehow.

Mine has 50k on it, 2018. It's on the list to get the phasers done in a few weeks (waiting on parts). Service writer, who is a great guy and a Raptor owner, said they also order other parts for the cams so that if they find those to be bad, they'll replace them at the same time. Ford is allowing them to get everything it could possibly need, so it doesn't have to be torn down twice. If it doesn't need the other parts, they don't use them and send them back.

I think the bottom line from all the posts I've read is you need to find a dealer with a service writer that isn't a moron. Oz at Lakewood Ford in the Denver area is awesome, for anyone in the area. I was shocked when I called two other dealers a lot closer to my house, and they seemed less than interested in even looking at it. Not sure why, I'd think it'd be a good Ford paid job for any service dept. Who knows.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 802a owner here. My truck has had 2 replacement sets of cam phasers. First replacement set were still old version. Truck has always run great.

Funny part, my 2013 FX4 made the same noise from 30k miles up to 150k miles when I traded it in. I just thought it was normal. It always ran great. Loved that truck.

I didn’t even know F150s had cam phaser issues until I bought a Raptor and found this forum. Then I started reading all the post here and got nervous.

it makes sense that if all the oil drains out and parts that should have oil work “dry” for 5-10 seconds every start you will eventually have premature wear. Is it a big deal - guys on here know infinitely more than me. Just sayin, my experience tells me it’s only a big deal if you plan to go 200k+miles.